[comp.windows.x] Need bitmap vs image info

page@ferrari.ece.uiuc.edu (Ward C. Page) (06/20/89)

In X10.4 there were lots of bitmap handling routines.  In X11 it seems that
these have been replaced by image routines.  However, the image routines are
very slow.  Is there a way to speed up the image routines or are there better
ways to handle bitmaps that I am missing.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ward Page
University of Illinois
page@ferrari.ece.uiuc.edu

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (06/20/89)

In article <1306@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu>, page@ferrari.ece.uiuc.edu (Ward C. Page) writes:
> Is there a way to speed up the image routines or are there better
> ways to handle bitmaps that I am missing.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

For may applications, the X11 pixmap facilities are quite a bit faster than the image facilities.  For some applications, they aren't.  Most of the difference comes from the fact that pixmaps are stored in the server, but images are stored in the c

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (06/20/89)

    Is there a way to speed up the image routines

There is a way, and we've sped up some of the routines a fair amount
(the multiplicative factor escapes me).  Fixed in next release.

    are there better ways to handle bitmaps that I am missing.

If you're working with a fixed format (e.g. "standard bitmap format"),
you can just get the data pointer and frob the bits directly.