[comp.windows.x] "xtalk"-type program desired

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (06/14/89)

Does anybody out there have an "xtalk" type program?
It sure is a pain when "talk" doesn't know which xterm to connect to.

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
We don't need no signatures!

bmc@MYCROFT.MAYO.EDU (06/14/89)

I don't have the program you seek, but I would like to know where you get
one if you get one. Thanks

--Bruce Cameron
  Mayo Foundation

bruce@hpihoah.HP.COM (Bruce LaVigne) (06/15/89)

> Does anybody out there have an "xtalk" type program?
> It sure is a pain when "talk" doesn't know which xterm to connect to.

Yes!  I would LOVE such a beast!  I would like to say:

% xtalk berlin

And it would connect to berlin:0, or berlin:1, and put up a xterm type window
with the normal talk screen on the guys workstation!  I realize we will have
to set up X0.hosts correctly.....

ANYBODY WORKING ON SOMETHING THIS USEFUL?!?!?!   Thanks!

-bruce

          Bruce LaVigne

          ARPA:    bruce%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
          UUCP:    {ucbvax,hplabs}!hpda!bruce
          USnail:  c/o Hewlett-Packard m/s 42L8
                   19447 Pruneridge Avenue
                   Cupertino, CA  95014
          Phone:   (408)447-6279 work

rgrodrig@pttesac.UUCP (Robert Rodriguez) (06/22/89)

In article <6520015@hpihoah.HP.COM> bruce@hpihoah.HP.COM (Bruce LaVigne) writes:
>> Does anybody out there have an "xtalk" type program?
>> It sure is a pain when "talk" doesn't know which xterm to connect to.
>And it would connect to berlin:0, or berlin:1, and put up a xterm type window
>with the normal talk screen on the guys workstation!  I realize we will have

Well, this may not do exactly what talk does, but there is an application
in the contrib portion of the X sources called "xmessage".  I haven't
used it much, but I tried it out once, and was able to pop up a window
on another users display asking if he was ready to go to lunch.  He saw
my question, and two buttons labeled "yes" and "no".  Once he clicked on
"yes", yes was printed on my terminal and xmessage exited.

This may not do what talk does, but it seems like it might be a good place
to start.

Robert