[comp.windows.x] alarm clock client?

rich@Rice.EDU (Richard Murphey) (06/24/89)

In article <3517@ncar.ucar.edu>, morreale@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Peter Morreale) writes:

> Does anyone know of a "alarm" clock client available for X?  I would
> find such a tool very useful.   Something which a user could set and
> have it pop up a window with a user defined message.
>
>     How about it X-Gods?  (Xods ??) :-)
>
> Peter W. Morreale
> Nat'l Center for Atmos. Research, Scientific Computing Division
> morreale@ncar.ucar.edu  (303) 497-1293
> ~

The `remind' application which is part of the InterViews distribution does
exactly this.  Here's the top of the man page:

NAME
     remind - a simple reminder service

SYNOPSIS
     remind [ time ] [ message ]

DESCRIPTION
     Remind implements  a  simple  reminder  service  similar  to
     calendar(1),  but  uses  alert(1)  instead of mail(1).  Rem-
     inders can be specified from the command line, or remind can
     extract  information  from  a file in the user's home direc-
     tory.  In the latter case, remind first looks for  the  file
     reminders, then for the file calendar.

You can get the interviews distribution free from interviews.stanford.edu
using anonymous ftp.

Your friendly neighborhood Xod :-)
Rich Murphey
Electrical Engineering
Rice University
rich@rice.edu

pjs@basalt.dec.com (Philip Schneider) (06/24/89)

>In article <3517@ncar.ucar.edu>, morreale@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Peter Morreale) writes:
>
> Does anyone know of a "alarm" clock client available for X?  I would
> find such a tool very useful.   Something which a user could set and
> have it pop up a window with a user defined message.
>
>     How about it X-Gods?  (Xods ??) :-)

	When I used to use X10, I used an xclock with an alarm feature; I
think it was a version Ed Moy built, based on Tony Della Ferra's (sp?)
original xclock.  I ported it to X11 a while ago, and it seems to work
pretty well.  If anyone wants a copy, just let me know.

	Also, many thanks to all the folks who sent me xfish sources.  I've
found and fixed some bugs that made xfish fail to run correctly on some
servers.  Again, if anyone wants a copy, send e-mail.

- Philip

Philip J. Schneider			| pjs@decwrl.dec.com
DEC Advanced Technology Development	| decwrl!pjs
100 Hamilton Avenue			| (415)853-6538
Palo Alto, CA  94301			| (415)386-8232