[comp.windows.x] Event-driven

MMcM@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (Mike McMahon) (06/26/89)

All X *clients* must be event driven.  That does not mean all programs.
Application programs, I think, strive for the highest level of
abstraction that they can get away with.  Part of them can be
declarative rather than procedural, even.  That is what
direct-manipulation interface layout design tools are all about.

The missing link is an application program interface that takes care of
the event-driven bookkeeping associated with the application's semantics
and how it represents them in the interface.

A hopeful interpretation of the separate devolution discussion might be
that such things are on the way, but just a little too immature or not
well enough known.

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (06/27/89)

In article <19890625211758.5.MMCM@EUPHRATES.SCRC.Symbolics.COM> MMcM@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (Mike McMahon) writes:
>The missing link is an application program interface that takes care of
>the event-driven bookkeeping associated with the application's semantics
>and how it represents them in the interface.

I agree, and am very interested in this subject.

Is there enough interest in this area to start a mailing list?
If you are interested, send me a note and I'll look into starting
a list.

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce