[comp.windows.x] Re^2: Application Portability

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (06/28/89)

In comp.windows.x, kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) writes:

>> Also, are there any problems running X applications on one type of
>> machine, with a server of another type? Again, I expect to hear
>> everything works as advertised, but....
>You should have no problems whatsoever, that is what Network Transparency is
>for :-)

Well, that's not *quite* true.  In particular, applications that want
to do rasterops or color handling have to be VERY careful to do it the
right way, lest things that work on one server suddenly fail when run
from the same machine, but using a different display server.

The infamous "Xor on a VAX is a no-op" condition is one example.