[comp.windows.x] X vs MacII

chn@alpha.lanl.gov (Charles Neil) (06/26/89)

I installed X11R3 from the MIT tapes, and I have two questions.  I have
A/UX 1.1.

1.  The man pages for XmacII state that "Color and multiple screens are
supported under A/UX Release 1.1 and later."  The installation notes in
server/ddx/macII/README state that "These Apple X11 drivers. . .support
a single monochrome (1 bit deep) screen. . ."  I'm wondering which of
these statements is correct.  I can't invoke XmacII with the -depth 8
option, so I assume it's the latter.  Is there any hope of color and/or
multiple screens on the Mac?

2.  I tried unsuccessfully to implement the "Purdue patches".  Could
someone who succeeded in doing this outline the necessary changes to the
makefiles?

--

Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (06/27/89)

In <912@alpha.lanl.gov>, <chn@alpha.lanl.gov> wrote:
>1.  The man pages for XmacII state that "Color and multiple screens are
>supported under A/UX Release 1.1 and later."  The installation notes in
>server/ddx/macII/README state that "These Apple X11 drivers. . .support
>a single monochrome (1 bit deep) screen. . ."  I'm wondering which of
>these statements is correct.  I can't invoke XmacII with the -depth 8
>option, so I assume it's the latter.  Is there any hope of color and/or
>multiple screens on the Mac?

Both are correct. To have color under A/UX though you need to buy the
X-Window package from Apple (or write your own drivers). The publicly
distributed drivers are monochrome-only.

aem

a.e.mossberg - aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu/aem@umiami.BITNET - Pahayokee Bioregion
I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of oral-genital
intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate commerce. - Hoover

zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) (06/28/89)

Re #1:
     I may be wrong, but I think the macII ddx code makes no use of the
ddx/cfb code (which would of course mean it's strictly 1 bit per pixel).
     Do a "grep cfb *.c" in the ddx/macII directory.  If nothing along
the lines of a cfbScrInit() routine appears, your server definitely
wired up as mono.  Or you could just grep for a routine called (I think)
mfbScrInit();  if it's there, same thing.

-Zach T. Smith (zs04@andrew.cmu.edu)