[comp.windows.x] Variable length window properties

jones@cernvax.UUCP (robert jones) (06/26/89)

Does anyone know how to create a window property of varying length?
I want to collect a list of integers in a property by prepending each one
to the existing list. At the moment I define some maximum length and mark
the start of the list with a special value but this seems wasteful.

 Many thanks.  Bob Jones.

jones@online.decnet.cern.ch
jones%online@cernvax (BITNET)

karlton@fudge.sgi.com (Phil Karlton) (06/29/89)

In article <1028@cernvax.UUCP> jones@cernvax.UUCP (robert jones) writes:

>Does anyone know how to create a window property of varying length?
>I want to collect a list of integers in a property by prepending each one
>to the existing list. At the moment I define some maximum length and mark
>the start of the list with a special value but this seems wasteful.

I am having a little trouble understanding the question. All properties
are inherently variable length. Successive calls of the form

	XChangeProperty(dpy, w, prop_atom, XA_INTEGER, 32, PropModePrepend,
		&value, 1)

should (somewhat inefficiently) grow a property in the manner you wish.

PK