[comp.windows.x] bwtwo0 and sun386i

jne@GOLDHILL.COM (06/29/89)

I am trying to run X11.R3 on a sun386i monochrome.

When I run it with the large monitor/frame buffer (1152x900), I have no
problem.  With the small b&w monitor/frame buffer (1024x768),
I get the following error starting up the server.

   mapping BW2: no such device or address.

The doc for mmap leads be to believe that the frame buffer size
being passed to mmap is wrong, but I'm not really sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Eisen
Gold Hill Computers
(617)621-3404

anubis@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Steen Linden) (06/29/89)

jne@GOLDHILL.COM writes:

>I am trying to run X11.R3 on a sun386i monochrome.

>When I run it with the large monitor/frame buffer (1152x900), I have no
>problem.  With the small b&w monitor/frame buffer (1024x768),
>I get the following error starting up the server.

>   mapping BW2: no such device or address.

>The doc for mmap leads be to believe that the frame buffer size
>being passed to mmap is wrong, but I'm not really sure.

You are right. We hacked our server for the sun386i with a small b&w by
changing the line 65 in sunBW2.c as shown:

65c65
<     u_char    image[BW2_FBSIZE];          /* Pixel buffer */
---
>     u_char    image[96 * 1024];          /* Pixel buffer */

If you use both large and small screens on 386i's I think you
should make an ioctl(fd, FBIOGTYPE, &pfbType), and use the
fb_size field to allocate the pixel buffer dynamically.

>Jeff Eisen
>Gold Hill Computers
>(617)621-3404

Steen Linden (anubis@diku.dk)    |   It's all absolutely devastatingly true -
Institute of Datalogy		 |   except the bits that are lies.
DIKU, U. of Copenhagen		 |	Douglas Adams:
Denmark				 |	  The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.