[comp.windows.x] Drawing tool comparsion

jim@kaos.Stanford.EDU (Jim Helman) (06/24/89)

There are a number of alternatives.  Here are the ones I've tried:

1) dxpaint.  Bitmap oriented painting program.  Just like a Mac
running MacPaint.  Good for artists.  Lousy for drafting or preparing
figures.  Stores paintings as bitmaps.  Source: Ultrix 3.0 (UWS 2.0)

2) xpic 2.5 alpha. Object-oriented drawing program.  No compound
objects.  Multiple fonts styles and sizes.  Variable line widths. No
fills.  No rotation.  No zoom or scroll.  Monochrome drawing only.
Drawings stored in "xpic" format.  PostScript converter available.
Source: moraes@csri.toronto.edu

3) xfig 1.4.3 Object-oriented drawing program.  Compound objects.
Extremely limited text handling: one font, one style, no rotation.
Single line thickness.  90 deg rotations.  No fills.  No zoom or
scroll.  Monochrome drawing only.  Drawings stored in "fig" format.
PostScript and other converters available.  Source: X11R3.

3) idraw 2.5.  Object-oriented drawing program.  By far the best of
these four for preparing figures.  Numerous fonts (extensible).
Various line styles.  Arbitrary rotations of text and graphics.  Zoom
and scroll.  Color draws and fills.  Drawing stored in PostScript.
plot(5) to idraw converter available for annotating (or massaging!)
plots.  Source: interviews-request@interviews.stanford.edu.

Ease of use: idraw was best for me becuse of the four its UI is the
closest to MacDraft, which is what I'm accustomed to using.  xpic was
next but it uses a funny sequence (left click - right click) to end a
polyline.  I had problems with xfig because rather than using "click
and drag" for adjustments, it required a left click, move, middle
click.

The above are accurate only to the best of my ability to figure out
how to work these dang things.  Each has a very different "look and
feel."  There may be newer versions out on some of these.

Your mileage may vary.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			P.O. Box 10494
Stanford University				Stanford, CA 94309
(jim@thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-4940

Disclaimer: Although idraw was developed at Stanford, I have no
relation to the InterViews group.

alarson@pavo.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Aaron Larson) (07/01/89)

FYI: