[comp.windows.x] Wanted: X Widget Set

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (07/08/89)

	I recently purchased a book entitled "X Window Systems Programming and
Applications with Xt" by Douglas A. Young.  Since I am planning on trying
things out with this book under DECwindows on a VMS system, I figured I might
have a little trouble, but I wasn't prepared for what I encountered.

	The book constantly refers to what it calls the "X Widget set" both in
the explanatory text and the example programs, throughout.  These widgets are
of the form Xw<widget>WidgetClass and the include files are from a directory
named "Xw".  The book mentions that this widget set is normally distributed
with the X sources, but I couldn't find them on a local UN*X system running X
(V11R3).

	I do not have ready access to tar(2vms) or (de)compress, so I would
need access to the files in their "raw" form.  Does anyone have any suggestions
as to where I might get the "X Widget set" (preferably via FTP)?

							Much obliged,
							    Mike

|         THE InterNet address> davism@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu          |
|                         CompuServe> 73667,541                          |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                        These_Thoughts := My_Own                        |
|************************************************************************|
|         "Daddy, Daddy!!  Why's Mommy running across the field?"        |
|                       "Shut up Son, and reload."                       |

kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (07/08/89)

In article <2562@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) writes:

 >	I recently purchased a book entitled "X Window Systems Programming and
 >Applications with Xt" by Douglas A. Young...
 >
 >	The book constantly refers to what it calls the "X Widget set" both in
 >the explanatory text and the example programs, throughout.  These widgets are
 >of the form Xw<widget>WidgetClass and the include files are from a directory
 >named "Xw".  The book mentions that this widget set is normally distributed
 >with the X sources, but I couldn't find them on a local UN*X system running X
 >(V11R3).

I was waiting for this to come up.

What the author refers to as the "X Widget set" is really the HP Widget set.
A version written for the R2 intrinsics is included on the X source tape
as part of the contrib software, but you must apply a set of patches (available
from uunet and elsewhere) to adapt the HP Widget set to the R3 intrinsics.

Perhaps someone else out there can steer you to a set of pre-patched R3
sources for Xw...
--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.  So there.

XRCLS@SCFVM.BITNET (Cindy Starr) (07/11/89)

Hi,

   I noticed that an R3 version of the HP widgets is available by anonymous
ftp at ai.totonto.edu (128.100.1.65) in pub/x/Xhp.R3.tar.Z.  I have
not used these personally, only peeked at the README file.

         Cindy Starr         e-mail: xrcls@scfvm.nasa.gsfc.gov

         NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Code 632
         Greenbelt, Md.   20771