[comp.windows.x] Possible problem compiling HP widgets -- help!

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (07/11/89)

	I recently got a hold of the HP widget set for X11R3 and would really
like to start using them, but I'm having a few problems.  If anyone can shed
some light on this, I'd really appreciate it.

	First off, I'm doing all this under DECwindows on a color VAXstation
3100 w/ 8MB memory, running VMS V5.1-B.  (That's probably bad enough as it is,
right? ;-)  Anyway, as I don't have any kind of make utility, I more or less
attempted to glean what I needed from the makefile Xhp/Xw/Makefile.  I looked
at the list of object files and just generated all of them with a command pro-
cedure, then included them all in an object library.  The application I'm
trying to get to work needs to be linked with this library, as well as the
X (DECwindows) Toolkit library.  Everything compiles and links fine, as far as
I can tell.  When I run the program, though, I get the following error:

    X Toolkit Error: XtCreateWidget requires non-NULL widget class
    %DWT-F-DWTABORT, xtoolkit fatal error

The line this is bombing on looks like this:

    canvas = XtCreateManagedWidget ( "canvas", XwworkspaceWidgetClass,
     toplevel, NULL, 0 );

The program is from Douglas Young's book ("X Window Systems Programming and
Applications with Xt").

	Any and all help is appreciated.

							Thanks,
							 Mike

|         THE InterNet address> davism@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu          |
|                         CompuServe> 73667,541                          |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                        These_Thoughts := My_Own                        |
|************************************************************************|
|         "Daddy, Daddy!!  Why's Mommy running across the field?"        |
|                       "Shut up Son, and reload."                       |

ben@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Benjamin Ellsworth) (07/12/89)

> ... The application I'm trying to get to work needs to be linked with
> this library, as well as the X (DECwindows) Toolkit library.  ...

I believe that DECwidows Xt is R3 while the Xhp is R2.  You should use
the Xt intrinsics provided with the Xhp widgets (R2 w/ many bug fixes).

Benjamin Ellsworth      | ben@cv.hp.com                | INTERNET
Hewlett-Packard Company | {backbone}!hplabs!hp-pcd!ben | UUCP
1000 N.E. Circle        | (USA) (503) 750-4980         | FAX
Corvallis, OR 97330     | (USA) (503) 757-2000         | VOICE
                     All relevant disclaimers apply.

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (07/12/89)

	In article <100920085@hpcvlx.HP.COM>, ben@hpcvlx.HP.COM
(Benjamin Ellsworth) writes:

>> ... The application I'm trying to get to work needs to be linked with
>> this library, as well as the X (DECwindows) Toolkit library.  ...
>
>I believe that DECwidows Xt is R3 while the Xhp is R2.  You should use
>the Xt intrinsics provided with the Xhp widgets (R2 w/ many bug fixes).

	It was my understanding that the compressed tar file
pub/X.V11R3/contrib/Xhp.R3.tar.Z (from various FTP anonymous FTP sites) was a
_modified_ version of the R2 HP widgets, made to work under R3.  Are you saying
this is incorrect?

							Mike

   |   InterNet> davism@{kcgl1.eng|rcgl1.eng|osu-20.ircc}.ohio-state.edu    |
   |                                  -or-                                  |
   |                       davis-m@eng.ohio-state.edu                       |
   |                         CompuServe> 73667,541                          |
   |************************************+***********************************|
   |   "Daddy, Daddy!!  Why's Mommy     |                                   |
   |    running across the field?"      |     These_Thoughts := My_Own      |
   | "Just shut up, Son, and reload."   |                                   |

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (07/12/89)

	Please disregard my previous posting regarding the HP Widget set
(unless you might know the answer ;-).  I realized...a little too late...
that I had posted to the wrong newsgroup, and our site's news software
does not have any cancellation capabilities.

							Sorry,
							 Mike

   |   InterNet> davism@{kcgl1.eng|rcgl1.eng|osu-20.ircc}.ohio-state.edu    |
   |                                  -or-                                  |
   |                       davis-m@eng.ohio-state.edu                       |
   |                         CompuServe> 73667,541                          |
   |************************************+***********************************|
   |   "Daddy, Daddy!!  Why's Mommy     |                                   |
   |    running across the field?"      |     These_Thoughts := My_Own      |
   | "Just shut up, Son, and reload."   |                                   |

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (07/12/89)

	...err...uh...nevermind (arg! ;-)...

   |   InterNet> davism@{kcgl1.eng|rcgl1.eng|osu-20.ircc}.ohio-state.edu    |
   |                                  -or-                                  |
   |                       davis-m@eng.ohio-state.edu                       |
   |                         CompuServe> 73667,541                          |
   |************************************+***********************************|
   |   "Daddy, Daddy!!  Why's Mommy     |                                   |
   |    running across the field?"      |     These_Thoughts := My_Own      |
   | "Just shut up, Son, and reload."   |                                   |

ben@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Benjamin Ellsworth) (07/12/89)

> 	It was my understanding that the compressed tar file
> pub/X.V11R3/contrib/Xhp.R3.tar.Z (from various FTP anonymous FTP
> sites) was a _modified_ version of the R2 HP widgets, made to work
> under R3.  Are you saying this is incorrect?

Nope I was reading too quickly and missed the part about getting
modified widgets.  Sorry (blame Evelyn Wood ;-).  Also, being the
modified version (and having no DEC VMS available) I don't know how to
help you.

Good Luck.

---

Ben