[comp.windows.x] using xdm with xsight

DEG41560@UA1VM.BITNET (Rob Smith) (07/12/89)

Hi,
 We just got PC-xsight. What I would like is for a user at the PC to be
able to start the xsight program, and immediatly get the login verification
window from xdm, and proceed wiht a login. Is this possible? I tried just
adding pchostname:0 to the Xservers file, but this seems to have done
nothing.  All advice appreciated.

                                      Thanks,
                                          Rob.

djg@pyrnova (Don Giberson) (07/14/89)

In article <8907121656.AA03105@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> DEG41560@UA1VM.BITNET (Rob Smith) writes:
>Hi,
> We just got PC-xsight. What I would like is for a user at the PC to be
>able to start the xsight program, and immediatly get the login verification
>window from xdm, and proceed wiht a login. Is this possible? I tried just
>adding pchostname:0 to the Xservers file, but this seems to have done
>nothing.  All advice appreciated.

you need to
	kill -HUP <pid of xdm daemon>
after changing the Xservers file, otherwise xdm daemon doesn't
know that you changed the file, & that it should look for a new
server.  i *believe* that this will also restart xdm at
active terminals, so you may have some unhappy campers if
you do this.  you probably have to be root to do this, too.

our sysadm told me how to determine the <pid of xdm daemon>,
but i forget just now!  it's the "oldest" xdm displayed by
	ps -aux | grep xdm
and will probably have the most cpu time.

if this is disinformation, surely someone on the net will
correct it!  hope this helps.

  Don Giberson / Pyramid Technology Corp / djg@pyramid.com / 415-965-7200 x2031
  <or>    ...!{allegra,decwrl,hplabs,munnari,sun,uunet,utai}!pyramid!djg
Standard disclaimer, etc. etc.