[comp.windows.x] MS-DOS BASED X11 - ANY OUT THERE?

johnh@babel.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Holmes) (07/11/89)

Although I am aware of some x-window terminal emulators for Unix based
PC's, I have not seen MS-DOS mentioned.  Is there such a thing as x-windows
on an MS-DOS PC?  Our application would be to provide engineers with a low
cost x terminal capability on their existing Etherneted EGA/VGA PC's.

Any info will be greatly appreciated,

John.

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (07/11/89)

Several X servers are available for MS-DOS.  All require, however, that
your clients run on regular UNIX machines.  Some of these servers are
available from Locus Computing (Santa Monica, CA), Intelligent
Decisions, Inc. (Palo Alto, CA), Bell Technologies (Fremont, CA),
Intirfirm Graphics, Graphics Software Systems, and IBM itself (product
# 5709-029).  Some of the products require additional hardware.  Sorry,
I haven't actually used any of these, so can't comment on them.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) (07/11/89)

In article <1536@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> johnh@babel.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Holmes) writes:
>Although I am aware of some x-window terminal emulators for Unix based
>PC's, I have not seen MS-DOS mentioned.  Is there such a thing as x-windows
>on an MS-DOS PC?  Our application would be to provide engineers with a low
>cost x terminal capability on their existing Etherneted EGA/VGA PC's.

Try Locus Computing Xsight and PCI which will be parts of SCO's OPen Desktop.

Interactive Systems may also have a solution, since they already have X-windows
available.

jon@altos86.Altos.COM (Jonathan Ma) (07/12/89)

In article <1536@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> johnh@babel.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Holmes) writes:
>Although I am aware of some x-window terminal emulators for Unix based
>PC's, I have not seen MS-DOS mentioned.  Is there such a thing as x-windows
>on an MS-DOS PC?  Our application would be to provide engineers with a low
>cost x terminal capability on their existing Etherneted EGA/VGA PC's.
>
>Any info will be greatly appreciated,
>
>John.

At Xhibition '89, I saw a DOS based X server program from VisionWare.
It's basically an X server running any X applications from a remote
host.  The product PC-XVision is a Microsoft Windows-based X server
which allows X clients running on a networked computer to display on
an IBM-compatible PC or PS/2, at the same time as local DOS programs.

It looks fairly good.  The feature I liked the most is running both
MS-Window application and X-clients at the same time side-by-side.

Their number is (612) 377-3627.

--

-Jon-		Jonathan Ma, Altos Computer Systems
	UUCP: {sun,pyramid,amdahl}!altos86!jon

tinkelman@ccavax.camb.com (Bob Tinkelman) (07/14/89)

In article <1558@bacchus.dec.com>, klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:

> Several X servers are available for MS-DOS.  All require, however, that
> your clients run on regular UNIX machines.

Are you excluding DEC's PCSA X-server for MS-DOS which currently serves
clients which run on VMS or Ultrix VAXes, using DECnet as a transport media?
--
| Bob Tinkelman                       | Internet: bob@ccavax.camb.com         |