[comp.windows.x] more X terminals

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (07/13/89)

A couple of people mentioned that my note on X terminals was truncated
(the old xrn problem).  Anyway, someone else mentioned the NCR, NCD,
Visual, and GraphOn terminals.  A couple of others are:

Acer-Counterpoint (Santa Clara?, CA)
Human Design Systems (Philadelphia, PA)
Tektronix

The Acer terminal is cheap ($1000), but performance isn't great.  The
HDS and Tektronix terminals have been announced, but I don't think
either is shipping now.  Both are big screen color terminals, with
expected prices $1000 to $2000 more than monochrome terminals.

Also note that NCD and Visual have recently announced 19" versions of
their terminals, with the same number of pixels as the old ones.

Other companies are rumored to be developign X terminals, including a
couple of the big 3 letter word companies, but no announcements have
been made.  Other companies, such as MIPS and Tektronix, are reselling
the NCD and Visual terminals.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

brooks@vette.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) (07/13/89)

In article <1567@bacchus.dec.com> klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:
>Other companies are rumored to be developign X terminals, including a
>couple of the big 3 letter word companies, but no announcements have
>been made.  Other companies, such as MIPS and Tektronix, are reselling
>the NCD and Visual terminals.
Is the Tektronix offering a reselling??  Is it the NCD of the Visual?

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp

mikeh@lupine.UUCP (Mike Harrigan) (07/14/89)

In article <28494@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, brooks@vette.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) writes:
> Is the Tektronix offering a reselling??  Is it the NCD of the Visual?
>

> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp

Tektronix and Network Computing Devices recently signed an agreement
that includes an OEM relationship.  Under this agreement Tektronix has
recently introduced the Tektronix XN5, a monochrom X display station or
X terminal, that is manufactured by NCD.

Mike Harrigan
Network Computing Devices
info@ncd.com

david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (07/14/89)

In article <28494@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, brooks@vette.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) writes:
> In article <1567@bacchus.dec.com> klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:
> >Other companies are rumored to be developign X terminals, including a
> >couple of the big 3 letter word companies, but no announcements have
> >been made.  Other companies, such as MIPS and Tektronix, are reselling
> >the NCD and Visual terminals.
> Is the Tektronix offering a reselling??  Is it the NCD of the Visual?
>
> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp

Tektronix was showing two terminals at Xhibition'89: the XN5 is a rebadged
regular NCD, and the XN11 is an 80386SX-based Tek-brew. The 15" monitor on the
XN11 was being shown, though a 19" is also available. RAM up to 8MB.
Communications protocols supported are Netstations and TCP/IP. Built-in
VT100 emulation in a Telnet window. Cost is $7495; shipments to begin in
November.
--
David B. Lewis david@ics.com ics!david@buita.bu.edu david%ics.UUCP@buita.bu.edu

"This generation may be the one that will face Armageddon."
	-- Ronald Reagan, in People, 12/26/85