[comp.windows.x] Anyone have code from Doug Young's book?

andy@rapunzel.Berkeley.EDU (Andrew Purshottam) (07/08/89)

Or know where one can snarf/buy it?
PS great book, though it does use hp widgets.
Post reply if yes, many will want.

Andy

dayoung@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Doug A. Young) (07/12/89)

In article <15279@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> andy@rapunzel.Berkeley.EDU (Andrew Purshottam) writes:
>Or know where one can snarf/buy it?

Prentice Hall was originally going to put out a diskette, but it just never
happened. They've given me the go ahead to make the code available on the net.
As soon as I have a chance to package it up and find a publicly accessible
place for it, I'll set it up.

Incidently, I'd really appreciate any bug reports, as well as reports of
mistakes in the text, inaccuracies, typos, or whatever, if anyone takes
the time. I'll try to correct these in a later printing.

Doug

kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (07/13/89)

> Incidently, I'd really appreciate any bug reports, as well as reports of
> mistakes in the text, inaccuracies, typos, or whatever, if anyone takes
> the time. I'll try to correct these in a later printing.

You can't be serious?  There are so many typo's and misspellings in this
book.  I realize that time to market was important, but the number of
typos in this book is staggering.  For starters how about the front cover.

> X Window Systems Programming and Applications with Xt.

First:

It's The X Window System (not Systems).

Second:

This sentence does not make any sense.  Programming and Applications???

I just glanced through the book (I don't have much need for a tutorial on Xt :-)
and the layout seems very nice, but the number of typo's is about one per page
and seriously detracts from the book.

Just thought you might like to know...

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium

Net:	 kit@expo.lcs.mit.edu
Phone:   (617) 253 - 9608
Address: MIT - Room NE43-213

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (07/13/89)

<
< Incidently, I'd really appreciate any bug reports, as well as reports of
< mistakes in the text, inaccuracies, typos, or whatever, if anyone takes
< the time. I'll try to correct these in a later printing.
<

< You can't be serious?  There are so many typo's and misspellings in this
< book.  I realize that time to market was important, but the number of
< typos in this book is staggering.  For starters how about the front cover.
<

[ some nits about the title deleted ]

<
< I just glanced through the book (I don't have much need for a tutorial on Xt :-)
< and the layout seems very nice, but the number of typo's is about one per page
< and seriously detracts from the book.

Compared to the abysmal documentation provided with the Xt Intrinsics,
this book is a godsend!  Reading the Xt Intrinsics documentation is like reading
a mathematical proof.  As a reference it may be excellent, but until
one knows how to use them, it is impossible to figure out how to tie it
all together.

There are *NO* examples of use of the widgets,
only the formal definitions.  I realize that writing good documentation
is *VERY* hard, but until Doug Young's book came out, I have not gotten
very far using widgets even with the MANY examples of programs that exist.

<
< Just thought you might like to know...
<

I hope you have e-mailed Doug with the *SPECIFIC* typos that you found
"one per page".

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory

dayoung@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Doug A. Young) (07/14/89)

I just put the code on expo in the ~ftp/contrib directory. The file
is called young.examples.tar.Z. Feel free to redistribute or use however you
wish.

Doug

kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (07/14/89)

[ Brian V. Smith writes: ]

> Compared to the abysmal documentation provided with the Xt Intrinsics,
> this book is a godsend!

I must have been up too late last night.

My previous message on this topic was intended to go to Doug Young
only.  While the information in it is true, the style used may give the
wrong impression. I
figured that this message would generate this type of flamage, that is why I
only sent it to Doug (or so I thought :-).  I definitely agree that as
a tutorial Doug's book is FAR superior to the Intrinsice Spec, which
was the only documentation previously avaliable on Xt.  Given the speed
with this book
came out it is an admirable effort.

[ Doug Young writes (in personal mail to me): ]

> You're certainly entitled to post your opinions to xpert. No one else seems
> to restrict their flames! -:) Actually, I wouldn't mind if you reposted
> [the] part of my reply that concerned the title. I have been
> waiting for someone to mention the title, so I could explain it.

[ Me: ]

> > typos in this book is staggering.  For starters how about the front cover.

[ Doug ]

> Tell me about it. First time I knew about this was when I saw the book.  I
> was not pleased. Supposedly someone in Prentice Hall's production
> department has "systems programming" on the brain and screwed it up at the
> last minute. The title is supposed to be:

> The X Window System: Applications and Programming with Xt

> (actually my choice of a title was "XtProgramming", but Prentice Hall
> changed it) Prentice Hall claims they will fix it later. Their PR stuff has
> at least three variations on the title.

[ All opinions in this an the previos message on this topic are mine and
  do not represent the official position of MIT or the X Consortium. ]

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium

Net:	 kit@expo.lcs.mit.edu
Phone:   (617) 253 - 9608
Address: MIT - Room NE43-213

kozak@mmm.UUCP (Darryn Kozak) (07/14/89)

In article <3602@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM>, dayoung@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Doug A. Young) writes:
> I just put the code on expo in the ~ftp/contrib directory. The file
> is called young.examples.tar.Z. Feel free to redistribute or use however you
> wish.
>
> Doug

What is the full internet name and/or address for "expo"?

	Thanks,

        Darryn Kozak

        3M Center
        260-6A-08