[net.news.group] How To Get `fa' Groups Gatewayed from the ARPA INTERNET

fair@ucbvax.ARPA (Erik E. Fair) (08/17/85)

In article <122@mck-csc.UUCP> bmg@mck-csc.UUCP (Bernard M. Gunther) writes:

>I would be very interested in reading the security bboard from the Arpanet.
>How would creating the group fa.security be done.  I know how to make
>fa.security, but how does one get the feed from Arpa?

Most of `fa' groups are gatewayed through ucbvax from the ARPA INTERNET.
I maintain netnews on ucbvax, so if you want a mailing list gatewayed
from the ARPA INTERNET to USENET, the thing to do is to *MAIL* me a request.

There is a master list of ARPA INTERNET mailing lists, called the List
Of Lists, which is maintained by Richard Zellich <zellich@sri-nic.arpa>,
and is dutifully posted to net.news.group, and mod.newslists when ever
it changes, by Gene Spafford <Spaf@GATech.CSNET>. If there is something
from the List of Lists that you don't see in one of the `fa' groups
and you would like to see it, *MAIL* me a note requesting the list be
gatewayed. If the list is still active (many on the List Of Lists are
not, but the listing is there to tell you where you can FTP the archives
from, if you're actually on the ARPA INTERNET), and there is sufficient
interest, I will create the `fa' group, and start gatewaying the traffic.
``Sufficient Interest'' is defined as being more than 10, and less than
100 people.

Also, on a related note, I will be moving the `fa' groups to `mod'
groups because the way that `mod' groups are implemented in the netnews
software more closely approximates the nature of an ARPA INTERNET
mailing list. This has been suggested in this newsgroup numerous times,
with no objections, and I have not had time, until recently to actually
do the required hacking on recnews.c to make it work right. This will
also be an added incentive for netnews administrators out there to make
sure their `sys' files are moving the various groups around right.

Your comments are actively soliticed.

	keeper of the network news on ucbvax,
		and guardian of the gateway,
			but not postmaster!