[comp.windows.x] problem with xterm on ps2 aix x-windows

TRANLE@INTELLICORP.COM (Minh Tran-Le) (07/17/89)

I seem to have a problem with xterm on a ps2 running ibm aix x-windows:
when you exit the xterm window it seem to kill the parent process and throw
you out of x.  The standard ibm aixterm does not do it.

It must be a bug in the aix x-windows. Does anybody has a workaround for it ?

Thanks, Tran-Le.

Arpanet: tranle@intellicorp.com
uucp:  ..sun!icmv!mtranle
-------

bass@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu (Vance Bass) (07/17/89)

In article <616620722.290000.TRANLE@INTELLICORP.COM> TRANLE@INTELLICORP.COM (Minh Tran-Le) writes:
>I seem to have a problem with xterm on a ps2 running ibm aix x-windows:
>when you exit the xterm window it seem to kill the parent process and throw
>you out of x.  The standard ibm aixterm does not do it.
>It must be a bug in the aix x-windows. Does anybody has a workaround for it ?

I believe that it's because the xinit shell script starts up the xterm
with the line
	exec /usr/lpp/X11/bin/aixterm ...
which makes aixterm the parent of the whole X process group.  If you
remove the "exec", it should allow you to kill the first xterm without
shutting down everything else.
--

Vance Bass			The opinions expressed here are strictly
IBM M&SG			my own, and do not necessarily

TRANLE@INTELLICORP.COM (Minh Tran-Le) (07/17/89)

I am sorry but there seem to be some confusion about my previous message.
Let me try to clear it out.

The ibm distributed terminal emulator called "aixterm" works fine.  But the
sample "xterm" client that you can get by either installing the sample
clients or from the MIT tapes has the anoying feature of killing its
parent process on exit.

For example: if you put "xterm &" in one of the window manager menu item.
Then the window manager somehow get a kill or hangup signal when you exit
any of the xterm windows created from the menu.

It seem to me that it must be a bug somewhere on the ps2 aix because the
sample "xterm" client seems to work on all the other platforms.  So I was
wondering if anybody knew how to make the sample "xterm" client not to
send a kill signal to its parent on exit.