[comp.windows.x] X Terminal info

coppi@groucho (Paul Coppi) (07/08/89)

A couple of weeks ago I asked for information on X terminals.
Here is a summary of the responses I received. Thanks to all
those who replied.

Four companies were mentioned: GraphOn, NCD, NCR, and Visual.
The name of NCD appeared most often.  The consensus appears
to be that ethernet X terminals (NCD, NCR, Visual) can match the
windowing/display capabilities of workstations.  The GraphOn which
works over a serial line is a "neat idea" that isn't quite up to snuff
yet.

Keith McNeill (eplrx7!mcneill@uunet.UU.NET)  writes:
====================

We have 2 demo's here right now (an NCR Towerview & an NCD16).  The NCD wins
hands down.  The monitor is the big win on the NCD.  It has 1Kx1K screen
(that looks rectangular but is really square) that looks pretty sharp.  It
doesn't look as nice as our 19 sun mono-monitors but it is still pretty
good.  You can forget the NCR.  The NCR monitor has 1024x840 resolution.
You can't even fit a whole page from Framemaker on it.  It has a PC type
keyboard with a real cheap feeling.  It's my gut reaction that the NCR is
more designed for the office (which is NCR's strong suit in the UNIX market)
and the NCD is more of an engineering workstation.

Features:

NCD --

vt220 type keyboard with good feel
1024x1024 resolution
logitech  mouse
nice screen
uses tftp to download fonts
server is prom based or downloadable
serial or ethernet based
prom based approx $2800
downloadable approx $2500 + $500 for server tape..so the $500 gets
	spread out over all the workstations you buy.

NCR --

IBM PC type keyboard with cheap feel
1024x840 resolution
logitech mouse
fuzzy monitor (may be just the monitor that we got)
uses a braindead daemon that you have to run on the serving machine
	to download fonts.  Yes, you would have to add yet another daemon to
	/etc/rc.local.
server is prom based
serial or ethernet based
approx $3000

By the way:

USE XDM to startup X on the Xterminal.  Don't bother with the telnet
session.  It works great!

An X-terminal can definitely reproduce the look and feel of a workstation!

===================

Robert Brodersen (rbroders@hseq.oracle.com ??) writes:

===================

  I just went to Xhibition (today), and thus I have some new information.
Needless to say Visual and NCD were big stuff, but there is a new guy
in the Market with a twist:  GRAPHON - the graphon line is to have a
VERY dumb terminal (smarter than a VT220, but dumber than your average
Xterminal), and put more intelligence on the host.  GRAPHON runs a
server on the host which translates from the X protocol to a
proprietary protocol which amounts to graphics primatives (i.e. lines,
circles etc..).  The window management type activities are maintained
on the host (with lots of virtual memory), and the terminal operates
over SERIAL lines!  They claim to perform well at speeds down to
2400baud, but I wouldn't want to go under 9600, and their demo was set
up at 38400 (and the salesreps didn't know enough about hardware to lower
it to 9600 for us to see).  They also list at around $1400.  Hardware is
14inch with a 12Mhz 68000.  The thing performed reasonably well: ico
ran okay, plaid was almost bearable, and ordinary text was fine.  They
admit to being slow at bit images (I couldn't even find xfish on their
system).  Savings on ethernet wiring could really make this the ticket
if your budget is tight.  They claim to be 10 times more efficient
than the SLIP protocol, but I didn't see any side by side comparison.

=====

[Comments from friends who have seen GraphOns: The screen is the same
size as the ones in GraphOn vt200/textronix terminals, ie. pretty small.
The screen manager is very intelligent, but the result is still a rather
slow response. The GraphOn isn't quite a workstation screen replacement.
It's cheaper than the alternatives though... ]

==========

"Bob"
Development Manager, Application Foundation, Oracle Corporation Belmont, CA
(computer address lost due to mailer problems -- sorry)
writes:

===================

  Our group has been evaluating several X-terminals for use in our
development environment (software).  We primarily looked at Visual and
Network Computing Devices (NCD) X-terminals.  They both are offering
19-inch models in the near future (Visual in July, and NCD in September).
We hung these terminals off the ethernet connected to our Sequent
(18 80386 processors in a box - very nice) and they performed very well.
Our applications were primarily text - large emacs windows, a clock,
load averages, some static graphs, but they performed very well.  We
were even able to play a reasonable game of asteroids (xfish was
quite sluggish though).  I benchmarked both terminals using xbench
(gleaned from comp.x.sources) and they both ran around 8000 X-stones
(a Sun-3/50 running untuned MIT X11-R3 := 10000 X-stones).

Here is some technical information about the visual offerings:

(Greg Bourdon is our Visual Technologies rep, (818) 884-7815)

Model 640 (small screen)			Model 790 (large screen)
------------------------			------------------------

12 Mhz Motorola 68000 CPU			16 Mhz Motorola 68000 CPU

1024 x 768 pixels				same

82 Hz interlace refresh rate			68 Hz non-interlaced
 (aprox. 41 Hz non-interlaced rate) 		    refresh rate

14" display (11" actually used)			19" display (almost
						    that much used)

hardware switchable ethernet adaptor		software selectable
						    ethernet adaptor

1 Mg Standard RAM/4 Mg Max RAM			same

No grey scale (stixel instead)			same

ROM cartridge with 768K of software 		same
  (software can also be downloaded)
  (includes: TCP/IP, executive,
	     Telnet, NFS, server,
	     5 built in fonts, etc.)

$1995.00 list price				$2995.00 list price

$700.00 per extra mg of RAM			same

$100.00 per year for upgrades			same

Available now					Between 5 and 10 units
						   available sometime
						   in april.

I don't have the technical info on the NCD's, but they are very
similar.  The 16inch NCD has a 16MHZ 68000 with a special chip to
enhance blt copying - this helps text performance somewhat.  The
19inch NCD has a 20?MHZ 68020(30?) which should improve performance
dramatically due to a wider data path (the special blt chip is no
longer needed) - They quoted performance figures in the 20-30,000
X-stone range.

===============

Steve Chappelow        Systems Programmer       EMBA Computer Facility
(sc@uvm.edu || uunet!uvm-gen!sc) writes:

==========

I've had an NCD xterm for a few months and really like it.  They run
an MC68000 and download the X server from PROM or the network via
tftp.  We just got five more.  The performance is superior to a sun
3/50, though the keys are a little cheaper.  The screen is higher-res,
100+dpi.  The video updates are quicker too.  The communications
overhead seems to be the limiting factor on some operations.  I have
1.5 Mega of RAM in mine which is barely enough.  The price is under
$2000.  The address is:
	NCD
	350 North Bernardo Ave.
	Mountain View, CA 94043
	(415)694-0650

============

Finally Mike Harrigan of NCD writes:

================

The NCD16 from Network Computing Devices has been shipping since February
1989.  We have shipped over 1000 units to date and have excellent acceptance
for the product.

The NCD16 has a unique 16" *square* screen with 1024 x 1024 pixel resolution.
It uses a 68000 processor with 1.0 to 4.5 MB of RAM.  X11 server code is
embeddedin PROM or can be downloaded from a network host computer.  The NCD16
also includes Ethernet with TCP/IP for communications as well as a serial
port.

The list price for the NCD16 is $2550 including monitor, keyboard, mouse,
ethernet interface, and software.  Discounts are available for universities,
volume end-users, VARs, and OEMs.

If you want more information on the NCD16, please contact us at:

Network Computing Devices, Inc.
350 N Bernardo Ave.
Mountain View, CA 94043
(415) 694-0650
FAX (415) 961-7711
info@ncd.com

Sincerely,

Mike Harrigan
VP Market Development
mikeh@ncd.com

===============

Hope this helps someone!

   Paul Coppi  (coppi@zeppo.caltech.edu)

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (07/11/89)

In article <11234@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, coppi@groucho (Paul Coppi) writes:
> A couple of weeks ago I asked for information on X terminals.
> Here is a summary of the responses I received. Thanks to all
> those who replied.
>
> Four companies were mentioned: GraphOn, NCD, NCR, and Visual.

Another terminal for sale now is the Acer-Counterpoint.  It's real cheap (about $1000), but performance isn't exactly great.  Also, I just heard that Tektronix has announced a color X terminal.  Sorry, no additional info on that.  Several other com

diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (07/17/89)

> Four companies were mentioned: GraphOn, NCD, NCR, and Visual.
> The name of NCD appeared most often.  The consensus appears
> to be that ethernet X terminals (NCD, NCR, Visual) can match the
> windowing/display capabilities of workstations.  The GraphOn which
> works over a serial line is a "neat idea" that isn't quite up to snuff
> yet.
>
> Keith McNeill (eplrx7!mcneill@uunet.UU.NET)  writes:
> ====================

I think you missed the point on the GraphOn terminals.  As an office terminal,
I would agree that it isn't quite there (certainly doesn't perform as well
as an NCD), but it is really the only one that can work over modems and phone
lines with acceptable performance (not as good as at the office, but what
do you expect?).  I haven't seen anything using SLIP that comes even close
to acceptable performance (words like "unusable" come to mind).

Personally, I don't consider the Visual 640 (the 14" -- really 11"
interlaced version) to be quite there.  I haven't seen the NCR, so can't
comment, but between the NCD16 and the Visual 640, I'd say the NCD16 is
a clear winner.  I'd be curious to see the 19" Visual terminal, but the
performance and poor quality of the Visual 640 screen really didn't
impress us.

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett-Packard Co.		Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		    UUCP: {hplabs,hpfcla}!hpfclp!diamant

Disclaimer: These are my own opinions and do not reflect the opinion of
Hewlett-Packard Company.

sridhar@syteka.ARPA (Sridhar Acharya) (07/20/89)

Hi Xperts,
	I joined the xpert news group recently and missed the "summary on
X terminals". If somebody could send me a copy I would aappreciate it.

Also my manager is very keen on replacing some individual workstations by
X terminals (we have Sun 3/50's and 3/60's connected to a 3/160 server).
I am interested to find out about any experiences (good or bad) about using
X terminals and how far do they come in substituting the low end workstations.

Thanks a bunch.

Sridhar Acharya
Software Engineer
Hughes Lan Systems
uucp : sun!sytek!sridhar	Internet: sridhar@sytek.hls.hac.com

Link_-_APO@cup.portal.com (07/21/89)

Hello,

I would appreciate a copy of the summary on the X terminals.

Thank You
Sandy Johan

link_apo@cup.portal.com (Sandra Johan)

mai@cgdshu.ucar.edu (Andrew Mai) (07/22/89)

In article <20630@cup.portal.com> Link_-_APO@cup.portal.com writes:
>Hello,
>
>I would appreciate a copy of the summary on the X terminals.
>
>Thank You
>Sandy Johan

Me, too.

Andy Mai