[comp.windows.x] Geometry enhancements

bob@primerd.prime.com (07/24/89)

I think that X could use a little more device-independance when it comes
to geometry arguments.  I'm tired of having to re-adjust my screen every
time I move from a Sun to a PC or an X terminal.

How about some symbols like: Top, Bottom, Left, Right, and Center
which evaluate to the right thing on your server?

That way I could say things like:
	xclock -geometry =50x50+Right+Top

and it would always do the right thing no matter where you logged in.

Also, if I start an application "-iconic", how do I specify the placement
of the icon?  Xterm allows me to do this with the "#" modifier, but
shouldn't there be a way to do this for any application (like xmh)?

Bob Pellegrino
Prime Computer, Inc.

bob@deep-thought.prime.com

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (07/24/89)

    How about some symbols like: Top, Bottom, Left, Right, and Center
    which evaluate to the right thing on your server?

Equivalents of Top, Bottom, Left, and Right already exist:
	+0, -0, +0, and -0

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (07/25/89)

In article <8907241559.AA17904@expire.lcs.mit.edu> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU writes:

>    How about some symbols like: Top, Bottom, Left, Right, and Center
>    which evaluate to the right thing on your server?
>
>Equivalents of Top, Bottom, Left, and Right already exist:
>	+0, -0, +0, and -0

Agreed.  In fact, I have a useful device that I will now put into
the public domain (showing how much it's worth):

	On each corner of my screen, I have a sticker showing the
	position at that location, as in:

		+0+0			-0+0

			   Screen

		+0-0			-0-0

	When I need to place an item relative to, say, the bottom right
	of the screen, I look over and see the sticker that says -0-0,
	and I know that the syntax for such a placement is -x-y.

Also, rws didn't mention that you can set icon placement for any
Xt-based clients by using

	-xrm "*iconX: {x place}" -xrm "*iconY: {y place}"

I didn't check xmh to see if this would work, but it's done generally
well for me.

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce