[comp.windows.x] X11 R3 on Sun SPARCstation 1 with CG3 color board?

ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu (Daniel Robert Ehrlich) (07/27/89)

Has anyone gotten X11 R3 to run on the Sun SPARCstation 1 with a CG3 color board?
Are the patches available to do this?  The CG3 appears to be the same as the CG4
expect that it is available only on the SPARCstation and 386i.  Thanks in advance.

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be attributed

salzman%iris@RAND.ORG (Isaac Salzman) (07/27/89)

>Has anyone gotten X11 R3 to run on the Sun SPARCstation 1 with a CG3 color boa
>rd?
>Are the patches available to do this?  The CG3 appears to be the same as the C
>G4
>expect that it is available only on the SPARCstation and 386i.  Thanks in adva
>nce.

Yeah. It just runs. The support for the CG3 is already there. I just ran the
binaries I built for a 4/260 and 4/110 and had no problems whatsoever. And
the color performance is even tolerable (but then again, what do you expect
from a 12.5 mip machine)! :-) Ciao.

--
* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
* The RAND Corporation - Information Sciences Dept.          /o o/  /

jlo@elan.elan.com (Jeff Lo) (07/27/89)

In article <EHRLICH.89Jul26171753@shire.cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu (Daniel Robert Ehrlich) writes:
>Has anyone gotten X11 R3 to run on the Sun SPARCstation 1 with a CG3 color board?
>Are the patches available to do this?  The CG3 appears to be the same as the CG4
>expect that it is available only on the SPARCstation and 386i.  Thanks in advance.

Yes, we have run X11 R3 on a SPARCstation 1 with a CG3 here.  It
was built from vanilla sources (R3 dist plus fixes) and it worked
just fine.
--
Jeff Lo, Elan Computer Group, Inc.
jlo@elan.com, ..!{ames,uunet}!elan!jlo

earle@POSEUR.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle - Sun JPL on-site Software Support) (07/28/89)

>Has anyone gotten X11 R3 to run on the Sun SPARCstation 1 with a CG3 color
>board ?  Are there patches available to do this?

I suspect that if you examine server/ddx/sun/sunCG3C.c, you will find that
the vast majority of the code assumes that it is running only on a Sun386i.

If you change all the instances of `#ifdef sun386' to
`#if defined(sun386) || defined(sun4c)' then you might get lucky,
it might work just like that without any other code changes.

Note that this depends on `sun4c' being unique to the SPARCStation-1
C preprocessor; I'm not sure if this is a pre-defined symbol or not.
If it isn't, you might have to fall back on using `defined(sun4)' instead.
Not perfect, but you do what you gotta do.

	- Greg Earle
	  earle@poseur.JPL.NASA.GOV

Disclaimer: These are my own thoughts and in no way represent my employer.

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (07/28/89)

In article <EHRLICH.89Jul26171753@shire.cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu (Daniel Robert Ehrlich) writes:
>Has anyone gotten X11 R3 to run on the Sun SPARCstation 1 with a CG3 color board?

I have it running on a 386i with a CG3. Try building the server with
-DSUN_WINDOWS in Sun.macros. This is X11R3 with fixes 1-7 installed.
There are a few bugs, but in general it works quite well.

--
Dave Mack

david@sun.com (the Great Satan) (07/29/89)

In article <8907280804.AA08978@poseur.jpl.nasa.gov>
writes:
>>Has anyone gotten X11 R3 to run on the Sun SPARCstation 1 with a CG3 color
>>board ?  Are there patches available to do this?
>
>I suspect that if you examine server/ddx/sun/sunCG3C.c, you will find that
>the vast majority of the code assumes that it is running only on a Sun386i.
>
>If you change all the instances of `#ifdef sun386' to
>`#if defined(sun386) || defined(sun4c)' then you might get lucky,
>it might work just like that without any other code changes.
>
>Note that this depends on `sun4c' being unique to the SPARCStation-1
>C preprocessor; I'm not sure if this is a pre-defined symbol or not.
>If it isn't, you might have to fall back on using `defined(sun4)' instead.

1. As has been pointed out, you don't need to do this because the 4/60 cg3
driver emulates a cg4 (color planes only).

2. No, you will not "get lucky" because the mmap offset is different for
the Sun-386i cg3 and the 4/60 cg3 (sorry, this was necessary in order to
implement the cg4 emulation).  For details refer to the 4.0.3c
<pixrect/cg3var.h>.

3. No, sun4c is not a predefined cpp symbol in 4.0.3c.  However, sun4 is
sufficient for this purpose (or you could just un-ifdef the code
completely).

--
David DiGiacomo, Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  sun!david david@eng.sun.com