[comp.windows.x] Spice on HP 9000 & X11 Graphics

wittmann@engr.wisc.edu (art wittmann) (07/19/89)

I've been working on porting Spice 3b1 to an HP 9000-360.  I'd
like to get the X11 graphics extensions going, but it seems that
some of the X11 libraries on my HP are not as extensive as those
on other systems.  We're running HP-UX 6.5 A.

Wondering if anyone has done the port or has experience with porting
X11 packages to HP-UX.  It seems the missing library is libXaw, but,
I'm not sure.  At any rate, a number of widgets seem to be undefined.

Thanks much,

Art

Mail to: wittmann@engr.wisc.edu
Phone: (608) 263-1748

Daniel.Stodolsky@cs.cmu.edu (07/20/89)

At the EDRC (CMU), we have built the X11R3 libraries, including all the
widgets. They seem to link just fine with the X11R2 server on the 835 and
works fine on the 300's to.

Please contact  cbs@cad.cs.cmu.edu for more information.

D. Stodolsky
danner@edrc.cmu.edu

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (07/20/89)

In article <110@engr.wisc.edu>, wittmann@engr.wisc.edu (art wittmann) writes:
> I've been working on porting Spice 3b1 to an HP 9000-360.  I'd
> like to get the X11 graphics extensions going, but it seems that
> some of the X11 libraries on my HP are not as extensive as those
> on other systems.  We're running HP-UX 6.5 A.

The Athena widgets, and several other libraries, are available from
your local HP software engineer.  The tape is Xcellent (:-) and well
up to HP standards.  The problem I had with Spice is that it requires
X11R3, which HP does not yet support.  I get link errors when the program
looks for colors via the R3 scheme.  Does anyone at HP know when R3
support will be available?  Vendors with 3 letter names are promising it :-)

Tony Burzio               * Happiness is a TurboSRX...
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

ben@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Benjamin Ellsworth) (07/25/89)

> Does anyone at HP know when R3 support will be available?

Yes.  Unfortunately product announcements are not supposed to come from
the lab.  I'll get a marketeer to give the official party line ASAP.

I think that in the interim you should be able to compile and run the
Xt intrinsics on the MIT R3 tape.  Watch out for include files and lib
names.

> Vendors with 3 letter names are promising it :-)

Cheap shot.

Benjamin Ellsworth      | ben@cv.hp.com                | INTERNET
Hewlett-Packard Company | {backbone}!hplabs!hp-pcd!ben | UUCP
1000 N.E. Circle        | (USA) (503) 750-4980         | FAX
Corvallis, OR 97330     | (USA) (503) 757-2000         | VOICE
                     All relevant disclaimers apply.

tay@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mike Taylor) (07/28/89)

>>In article <110@engr.wisc.edu>, wittmann@engr.wisc.edu (art wittmann) writes:
>>> I've been working on porting Spice 3b1 to an HP 9000-360.  I'd
>>> like to get the X11 graphics extensions going, but it seems that
>>> some of the X11 libraries on my HP are not as extensive as those
>>> on other systems.  We're running HP-UX 6.5 A.
>>
>>The Athena widgets, and several other libraries, are available from
>>your local HP software engineer.  The tape is Xcellent (:-) and well
>>up to HP standards.  The problem I had with Spice is that it requires
>>X11R3, which HP does not yet support.  I get link errors when the program
>>looks for colors via the R3 scheme.  Does anyone at HP know when R3
>>support will be available?  Vendors with 3 letter names are promising it :-)

HP-UX 7.0 will be 100% R3 compliant.  That is, with the exception of a few
clients that used R2 libraries like xterm and hpterm.  The X11 server, the
Xt, Xw and Xm programming libraries are all 100% compliant.  This, and the
performance improvements make 7.0 a VERY good release.

>>**********************************************************************
>>Tony Burzio               * Happiness is a TurboSRX...
>>Martin Marietta Labs      *
>>mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *
>>*********************************************************************

Mike Taylor
CIS UI Technical Support
tay@hpcvlx.hp.com

tay@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mike Taylor) (07/28/89)

>>> I've been working on porting Spice 3b1 to an HP 9000-360.  I'd
>>> like to get the X11 graphics extensions going, but it seems that
>>> some of the X11 libraries on my HP are not as extensive as those
>>> on other systems.  We're running HP-UX 6.5 A.
>>
>>The Athena widgets, and several other libraries, are available from
>>your local HP software engineer.  The tape is Xcellent (:-) and well
>>up to HP standards.  The problem I had with Spice is that it requires
>>X11R3, which HP does not yet support.  I get link errors when the program
>>looks for colors via the R3 scheme.  Does anyone at HP know when R3
>>support will be available?  Vendors with 3 letter names are promising it :-)

HP-UX 7.0 will be 100% R3 compliant.  That is, with the exception of a few
clients that used R2 libraries like xterm and hpterm.  The X11 server, the
Xt, Xw and Xm programming libraries are all 100% compliant.  This, and the
performance improvements make 7.0 a VERY good release.

>>**********************************************************************
>>Tony Burzio               * Happiness is a TurboSRX...
>>Martin Marietta Labs      *
>>mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *
>>*********************************************************************

Mike Taylor
CIS UI Technical Support
tay@hpcvlx.hp.com

jbb@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Jim B. Byers) (08/01/89)

>Does anyone at HP know when R3
>support will be available?  Vendors with 3 letter names are promising it :-)

>Tony Burzio               * Happiness is a TurboSRX...
>Martin Marietta Labs      *

As you may know , HP began shipping a X11 product before the R3 tape was
out.  Therefore the HP-UX 6.2 and 6.5 products are based on R2 specs.
It does incorporate most of the R3 bug fixes however and features such as
backing store.  It is a  R2+ or R3- server depending on how you look at it.
Generally this has not been a problem for most people as most clients allow
users to specify fonts etc.  Judging from your response on the Spice
questions you have found an R3 feature that is required by your application.

The release of X11 that will be released with HP-UX 7.0 (fall 1989) will
provide the following:
	R3 server
	R3 Xlib
	Motif window manager (mwm) - surpisingly hpwm-like :-)
	Motif toolkit
		Motif widget  - the look and behavior is surpisingly like
				HP  widgets :-)
		R3 Xt intrinsics (with bug fixes)

I hope that this helps.

Jim Byers
CIS Marketing/Lab Team
Corvallis Information Systems

This code is very far along.  We are in testing mode to wring out bugs so that
you don't have to.  But schedules are schedules.   Use this information
with care.