[comp.windows.x] Xterm ESC sequence DOC and question

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (07/12/89)

Two questions:
1)  Our copy of the xterm source has a readme that mentions an xterm
    escape sequence doc, but I can't find it.  Is it supposed to be in
    the R3 distribution?  If so, where?  If not, where can I find it?

2)  Specifically I am looking for a pair of escape sequences that a program
    can send that will toggle xterm between the VT and TEK modes.  Some
    comments in charproc.c (mention of DECTEK) and the associated code
    suggest that the sequences might exist, but I haven't had much luck
    deriving them.

thanks.
g.
George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!hartzell

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (07/12/89)

In article <10009@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) writes:
>1)  Our copy of the xterm source has a readme that mentions an xterm
>    escape sequence doc, but I can't find it.  Is it supposed to be in
>    the R3 distribution?  If so, where?  If not, where can I find it?

I'd love to find it myself.  If anyone knows, could they please post
the answer or send me a copy via email?  Thanks.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (07/12/89)

As was mentioned several months ago, the Xterm Control Sequences Document never
got converted from X10.  One person volunteered a while ago, but I haven't heard
back.  It should be possible to start with the X10 version and then walk through
the xterm source code....

kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (07/13/89)

In article <8907121627.AA04116@expo.lcs.mit.edu> jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) writes:
>As was mentioned several months ago, the Xterm Control Sequences Document never
>got converted from X10.  One person volunteered a while ago, but I haven't heard
>back.  It should be possible to start with the X10 version and then walk through
>the xterm source code....

On that note...

Is the appendix in Vol. 3 of the O'Reilly series correct only for X10, or is it
correct for X11 as well?

--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.  So there.

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (07/13/89)

> Is the appendix in Vol. 3 of the O'Reilly series correct only for X10, or is it
> correct for X11 as well?

The first printing contained the X10 document, but Tim has said that they will make
any corrections necessary once an X11 version is written.

david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (07/13/89)

> In article <10009@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) writes:
> >1)  Our copy of the xterm source has a readme that mentions an xterm
> >    escape sequence doc, but I can't find it.  Is it supposed to be in
> >    the R3 distribution?  If so, where?  If not, where can I find it?

I don't think an X11 version is generally available yet.

There are two documents which might qualify as X11 versions (though they
may be just good repackagings of the X10 document - I haven't checked):
	- Appendix D in AT&T's "XWIN Graphical Windowing System 1.1",
distributed with AT&T's release of X for its 386 boxes.
	- Appendix D in Sony's "X Window System User's Guide" in "User's
Manual Vol.2", distributed with NEWS workstations.
--
David B. Lewis david@ics.com ics!david@buita.bu.edu david%ics.UUCP@buita.bu.edu

ICS -- Everything you always wanted to know about X, but didn't know where
to ask.

klong@pauling.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) (08/01/89)

A number of people are asking if the appendix in O'Reilly's 3rd X book
contains valid escape sequences for the X11 version of xterm.  To the
degree that I've used it, things still work just as advertised.
Although the book is rather introductory, it does have its values,
especially in the afore-mentioned appendix.

The complete title is:

    "X Window System User's Guide, Volume 3"
    (subtitled "for Version 11 of the X Window System")
    by Tim O'Reilly, Valerie Quercia, and Linda Lamb
    published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. (the Nutshell people)

    To order or obtain a catalog, call 1-800-338-NUTS or mail to
    nuts@ora.UU.NET

    The cover is hot pink, I guess, and the book sells for $24.95.
    Every person new to X should read this, we think.

One of the things I DID test was the VT100-to-Tektronix mode escape sequences.
You'll be glad to hear they work fine.  What I do is cat a file to my xterm
to do the switching.  The file has the proper escape sequences.

To go from vt100 mode to Tektronix mode, enter the following sequence
(ignore the spaces):	Esc [ ? 3 8 h   (that's six keystrokes)

To go from Tektronix mode to vt100 mode, enter the following sequence (and
again blow off the spaces):	Esc ETX   (two keystrokes this time, where ETX
is ASCII 3)

Buy the book if you need to learn more.

    Regards,
    Kevin Long