[comp.windows.x] '#include BandAidCompiler' in X11 Release 3

mb@ttidca.TTI.COM (Michael Bloom) (06/22/89)

In article <1704@sw1e.UUCP> umsgmah@sw1e.UUCP (3417]) writes:
>	  When I run 'make BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=-DSYSV World' imake dies when
>trying to use Imakefiles that the following in them:
>
>#ifdef BandAidCompiler
>#include BandAidCompiler
>#endif
>
>Even though I can't find that BandAidCompiler has been defined anywhere, cpp
>dies with a 'bad include syntax' error.

It's a bug in the SGS version of cpp.  A similar type of thing also
happens with:
#ifdef vms
#if some_identifier_containing_dollarsign
 ---
#endif /* some_identifier_containing_dollarsign */
#endif /* vms */

The solution I found was to define BandAidCompiler as "/dev/null" (that is
until I found needed a real BandAidCompiler include file).

umsgmah@sw1e.UUCP (3417]) (07/23/89)

I am trying to compile/install the MIT X11 Release 3 code on an AT&T 3B2/600
running UNIX System V Release 3.1.1 and I'm having trouble creating the
Makefiles.  When I run 'make BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=-DSYSV World' imake dies when
trying to use Imakefiles that the following in them:

#ifdef BandAidCompiler
#include BandAidCompiler
#endif

Even though I can't find that BandAidCompiler has been defined anywhere, cpp
dies with a 'bad include syntax' error.  The only reference to 'BandAid' I
can find is in the Guess.macros file which contains:

#define BandAidLibraryNeeded		YES
#define BandAidLibrarySources		Berklib.c
#define BandAidLibraryObjects		Berklib.o
#define BandAidLibraryMake()					@@\
Berklib.c: sysV/Berklib.c					@@\
	-rm -f Berklib.c					@@\
	-ln -s sysV/Berklib.c .

I have created a '3b2.macros' that contains the same '#define's.  What am I
missing?  I've tried running cpp against the troublesome Imakefiles  and
directly explicitly '#undef BandAidCompiler' but I still get the same error.
Do I need this BandAidCompiler?  Where do I find it?  I've got the
'sysV/Berklib.c'.  Is that what it's talking about?  Do Galapagos turtles
eat Pringles Potato Chips?  Have I been looking at this stuff too long?  Am
I asking too many questions?

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
 Mark Horstman                                            PHONE: (314) 235-3417
 Information Systems - Southwestern Bell Telephone          FAX: (314) 235-4610

steveg@tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) (08/02/89)

In article <1704@sw1e.UUCP> umsgmah@sw1e.UUCP (3417]) writes:
	< Lots of stuff deleted >
]I have created a '3b2.macros' that contains the same '#define's.  What am I
]missing?  I've tried running cpp against the troublesome Imakefiles  and
]directly explicitly '#undef BandAidCompiler' but I still get the same error.
]Do I need this BandAidCompiler?  Where do I find it?  I've got the
]'sysV/Berklib.c'.  Is that what it's talking about?  Do Galapagos turtles
]eat Pringles Potato Chips?  Have I been looking at this stuff too long?  Am
]I asking too many questions?
]
	I believe the Galapagos Turtles do not eat Pringles.  In fact, I have
	been told that they prefer Ruffles becuase of the rrrridges.  I think
	you may have been confused with the North American Box Turtles which
	do prefer the Bar-B-Q flavor of Pringles.
--
	-steveg@tove.umd.edu		..uunet!tove.umd.edu!steveg

"Ignore the message: 'ld warning: file /tmp/kernAAAa06386 has no relocation