[comp.windows.x] Want X Application Help Tool

daz@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (daniel.zuckerman) (08/01/89)

I would like to find an X Help tool to provide on-line documentation
for an X application.

An ideal help tool would have Hypertext features, such as the ability to
select certain words in the text and zoom to the corresponding help node.
(Microsoft Excel's help does this.)

A context-sensitive mode, where the help is started by the application
at a certain node (screen), is also desirable.

I am interested in both commercial products and public domain code.
I will summarize the results to the net.

Thanks!
Dan

---
Dan Zuckerman                            dan_zuckerman@att.com
(201) 291-4885 (Home)                    (201) 576-2471 (Work)
AT&T Bell Labs, Room 3K-309, 307 Middletown-Lincroft Road, Lincroft, NJ 07738

djg@pyrnova (Don Giberson) (08/02/89)

In article <741@cbnewsk.ATT.COM> daz@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (daniel.zuckerman) writes:
>I would like to find an X Help tool to provide on-line documentation
>for an X application.
>
>An ideal help tool would have Hypertext features, such as the ability to
>select certain words in the text and zoom to the corresponding help node.
>(Microsoft Excel's help does this.)
>
>A context-sensitive mode, where the help is started by the application
>at a certain node (screen), is also desirable.
>
>I am interested in both commercial products and public domain code.

Frame Technology's FrameMaker package includes hypertext
features, and could be used in a read-only version
(frameviewer) to supply your online documentation.
They use it for their own product's help feature.

FrameMaker is running in X on our machines, & i don't know
how many others.  how to invoke framemaker from your
application isn't real clear to me, but i'd bet it's
not difficult!

after 8/4, Frame Technology will be at 1010 Rincon Circle, San Jose, CA 95131.
current phone # is:  (408)-922-2754.  or contact me if i can be of any help.

  Don Giberson / Pyramid Technology Corp / djg@pyramid.com / 415-965-7200 x2031
  <or>    ...!{allegra,decwrl,hplabs,munnari,sun,uunet,utai}!pyramid!djg
Standard disclaimer, etc. etc.

nils@es37.UUCP (Nils Davis) (08/03/89)

In article <12074@escd.UUCP> decwrl!xpert-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu writes:
	>From: decwrl!bloom-beacon.mit.edu!att!cbnewsk!daz  (daniel.zuckerman)
	>
	>I would like to find an X Help tool to provide on-line documentation
	>for an X application.
	>
	>An ideal help tool would have Hypertext features ...
	>...select certain words ... and zoom to the corresponding help node.
	>
	>I am interested in both commercial products and public domain code.

You might look at the Andrew Help program. In many ways it is superior
to the Frame help package -- it has, for instance, a window along the
side with an index of the help documents available; you can click on an
entry in this window, and that help pops up (this is in addition to
hypertext and graphics and whatnot). It uses troff source for
its documents, while the Frame help uses FrameMaker documents. Also,
it's free (on the X11R3 tape). However, the Frame help is a lot faster,
at least in the current Andrew implementation.

Nils Davis
Evans & Sutherland Computer Division
...decwrl!escd!nils
415/969-9300

	"Does anyone have an alibi for Tuesday night? I don't, of course."

	"No you don't, to put it gently. Being at the scene of a crime
at the moment of its commission is not normally considered an alibi..."

Double Negative by David Carkeet