[comp.windows.x] Silicon Graphics' X release??

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (08/02/89)

I had some info to the effect that Silicon Graphics was going to include
X Windows 11 with their latest version of the system.  Anybody received it?

--
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu  Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF
"That has nothing to do with computers; it is software."

elkins@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Elkins) (08/03/89)

In article <20656@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) writes:
> I had some info to the effect that Silicon Graphics was going to include
> X Windows 11 with their latest version of the system.  Anybody received it?

I myself ordered it through the Hotline, and when the call was
returned I was told that it would be shipping sometime in the middle
of August.

George Elkins

roussi@CSD360B.ERIM.ORG (Chris Roussi) (08/03/89)

We got our 3.1G release yesterday, and it contains the
executables, not the "development" X11 system. What that means is
that you get the server and several clients on the maintenance tapes,
but no source.  The source is coming on a separate set of tapes.
We have not installed it yet, so I can't comment on the
performance.

Chris Roussi
Environmental Research Institute of Michigan

eap@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Eric Pearce) (08/04/89)

  We got a pre-release of 3.1G a while ago - I was not impressed.
  The interaction between X and the 4sight was terrible.  A lot of our
  other applications became flaky, so we backed down to 3.1F.

  I spoke to an SGI salesperson at SIGGRAPH and he said 3.2 would have
  a much better X implementation - he seemed think it would be coming
  pretty soon.  It would come with an EOE X enviroment and you would
  have to get the development stuff separately.

  -e

  ps: did anybody else see the 4D/280 ?  8 R3000's @ 160 mips!

 Eric Pearce eap@bu-it.bu.edu
 Boston University Information Technology
 111 Cummington Street
 Boston MA 02215
 617-353-2780 voice  617-353-6260 fax