[comp.windows.x] More on TransientShells

mhardik@intel.com (Manoj Hardikar ~) (08/01/89)

Thanks to Donna Converse for the help on Transient Shells. But I am still
confused.

The XtIntrinsic manual (pg. 45) describes TransientShell widgets as follows:

"Used for shell windows that can be manipulated by the window manager but
are not allowed to be iconified separately ... They are iconified by the
window manager only if the main application shell is iconified."

Donna Converse writes:
>Separately iconifying a transient window is not prohibited by the ICCCM.
>Whether it is allowed is an issue of window manager policy, implying that
>the application can't prevent the transient from being separately iconifed.

Does this imply that transient windows can be iconified seperately even
when the main shell is not iconified? I was expecting the following
behavior from Transient shells:

1. When the main application is iconified, the transient shells get
iconified automatically.

2. Cannot be iconified in any other way except as in 1.

I am unable to get this behavior (I corrected the XtGrabKind; thanks).

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Manoj Hardikar
mhardik@cadev4.intel.com

gabe@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Gabe Begeddov) (08/02/89)

  / hpcvlx:comp.windows.x / mhardik@intel.com (Manoj Hardikar ~) /  3:57 pm  Jul 31, 1989 /
  The XtIntrinsic manual (pg. 45) describes TransientShell widgets as follows:

  "Used for shell windows that can be manipulated by the window manager but
  are not allowed to be iconified separately ... They are iconified by the
  window manager only if the main application shell is iconified."

These words are wrong. Xt only sets hints on shells. It is up to the WM (and
the ICCC) to determine how these hints are used.

  Does this imply that transient windows can be iconified seperately even
  when the main shell is not iconified? I was expecting the following
  behavior from Transient shells:

  1. When the main application is iconified, the transient shells get
  iconified automatically.

  2. Cannot be iconified in any other way except as in 1.

  I am unable to get this behavior (I corrected the XtGrabKind; thanks).

There is a bug in the MIT Xt such that if you realize your transient shells
prior to realizing your application shell the window group and transient_for
hints will be set to None (0). Depending on the window manager this could
cause separate iconification of the transients. This was the case with
the OSF/Motif window manager until we fixed this bug.

  Manoj Hardikar
  mhardik@cadev4.intel.com
  ----------

 - Gabe Beged-Dov
   gabe%hp-pcd@hplabs.hp.com

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (08/05/89)

In article <MHARDIK.89Jul31155745@cad003.intel.com> mhardik@intel.com (Manoj Hardikar ~) writes:

>Thanks to Donna Converse for the help on Transient Shells. But I am still
>confused.
>
>The XtIntrinsic manual (pg. 45) describes TransientShell widgets as follows:

This is an error in the spec; it should be fixed in R4.  It was mistakenly
written based upon just one window manager's implementation of transients.

The only thing a transient shell does is set the transient property;
interpreting the meaning of this property is up to the window manager.

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente

Gabe.Begeddov@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Gabe Begeddov) (08/05/89)

--