[comp.windows.x] GWM and DEC-Windows: Xlib bugged?

colas@mirsa.inria.fr (Colas NAHABOO) (08/01/89)

ricks@shambhala.Berkeley.EDU (Rick L Spickelmier) writes:
> Is anybody using GWM with DEC Windows Applications?  I'm running
> GWM and I start up the DEC Windows session manger and the DEC
> Windows calendar iconified.  When I try to deiconify those two
> applications the icons dissappear, but the actual windows do not
> appear.  If I kill the applications, the other icons tidy themselves
> up so GWM still knows about the icons.  If I kill GWM, the `invisible'
> applications appear.  Has anybody had trouble with GWM losing
> applications?

It seems like the DEC implementation of Xlib is broken. We do not have DEC
windows Xlib, so I just linked GWM with the MIT Xlib on a vaxstation, and
I cannot reproduce the problem (I got the DEC SM and dxcalendar iconified and
de-iconified).

(PS: DEC seems to do very strange things with the Xlib, especially they seem
to have included a "malloc" in the xlib !!! Anyone from DEC can comment?)

This kind of problems may appear with GWM since it is an ICCCM compliant WM,
and DEC didn't bother with ICCCM in DEC windows. For instance, GWM had
problems with the BULL Xlib implementation since it always set the
"window-group" hint to a garbage value... hard on WM!

So: either:
	- run GWM on another machine
	- link it with the MIT Xlib
	- or send me a VAX (not pmax) binary of gwm compiled with '-g' and
	  DEC Xlib so that I can have a look at the problem

Colas NAHABOO        -- colas@mirsa.inria.fr
BULL Research FRANCE -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (08/06/89)

In article <212@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@mirsa.inria.fr (Colas NAHABOO) writes:
>(PS: DEC seems to do very strange things with the Xlib, especially they seem
>to have included a "malloc" in the xlib !!! Anyone from DEC can comment?)

It turns out that the default malloc wastes huge amounts of space when you
allocate memory that is a power of two bytes.  It adds in the size of the
header and then rounds up to the next power of two, thereby wasting almost
half the bucket.  Not surprisingly, lots of programs allocate things in
powers of two!  Our new malloc makes programs take considerably less
space.  Why didn't we just replace the system malloc?  Don't ask...

>This kind of problems may appear with GWM since it is an ICCCM compliant WM,
>and DEC didn't bother with ICCCM in DEC windows.

Geez!  The ICCCM came out after DECwindows!  We try to be responsive to
standards but we're not psychic, you know.

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente