[comp.windows.x] DECWindows vs XWindows

ulfis@nada.kth.se (Anders Ulfheden) (08/04/89)

Is there anybody out there who can explain the main difference between
DECWindows and XWindows??

So far I have been able to note that DECWindows calls differ from XWindows
calls in some functions, and that you can run XWindow-programs in a
DECWindows environment, but not the other way. Am I right, or am I right?

I have also seen a 'layer-description' of DECWindows that shows the
relations between the layers DECWindow Toolbox Intrinsics, DECWindow Library
etc, etc. Is there any corresponding for XWindows?

No flames please! ;-)
Thanks!
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Anders Ulfheden
|  USENET:  ulfis@nada.kth.se
|  Royal Institute of Technology
|  Stockholm, Sweden

wf08+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (William Frank) (08/05/89)

DECWindows -> Memory pig.

Seen a uVax II with 9 meg and a good size swap space run i
(can't remember how much).  Even with only one terminal window
(DECTerm), it couldn't start up some of the simple demo programs
(runs out of swap space).   X ain't the greatest, but it's a lot better
than that.  DECWindows is really slow too.  See below for my
problems with X.

-Will Frank
wf08+@andrew.cmu.edu

"Lots of preferences are BAD not good.  Most of the bad things that
can be said of X have to do with all the homage paid to the holy cause
of policy independence and allowing anyone to screw themselves with
their preferences.  Andrew has won through 'one user interface policy --
it works'.  It's time the messages developers were reminded of that."
					-- Bill Cattey

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (08/06/89)

In article <1391@draken.nada.kth.se> ulfis@nada.kth.se (Anders Ulfheden) writes:

>Is there anybody out there who can explain the main difference between
>DECWindows and XWindows??

DECwindows is the name of Digital's product version of X.  It includes
servers, Xlib, the Xt intrinsics, the XUI toolkit, and applications.

>So far I have been able to note that DECWindows calls differ from XWindows
>calls in some functions

Nope.

>, and that you can run XWindow-programs in a
>DECWindows environment, but not the other way. Am I right, or am I right?

You're not right.  We run DECwindows applications on non-DEC servers all
the time for interoperability testing.  The only real problem is that some
of the programs don't react very gracefully to not finding the fonts they
want; we're working on this.

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente