[comp.windows.x] Changing Window and Icon Labels Using Escape Sequences

forrest@sybase.com (08/04/89)

A program was posted on comp.os.vms that shows how to change the
labeling of a window and its associated icon in DecWindows. This
program works nicely but it must be run on the processor (and in
the process) that controls the window you want to label.

This is close but not quite what I want. What I'd like is to be
able to change the labeling "on the fly" from a remote host by sending
an escape sequence (from the remote host) that will be interpreted
by the DecWindows Server on my workstation. Is this possible?
I've heard that Vol 3. of the O'Reilly books covers Xterm escape
sequences but I don't have that book and even if I did I'm not sure
if what it says would apply to DecTerm.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Jon Forrest
forrest@sybase.com
{pacbell,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!forrest
415-596-3422

echarne@thebeach.nrtc.northrop.com (Eli B. Charne <echarne>) (08/05/89)

In article <5385@sybase.sybase.com> forrest@sybase.com writes:

>[...] What I'd like is to be
>able to change the labeling "on the fly" from a remote host by sending
>an escape sequence (from the remote host) that will be interpreted
>by the DecWindows Server on my workstation. Is this possible?

  Sure is.  I have each machine I log into send this sequence followed by the
  machine name, so that my window always properly displays the name of the
  machine I am currently logged onto.

>Does anyone know how to do this?

  Just send the sequence: ESC] SOME_STRING
  (that`s ESCape, close square bracket, a space, then some string"
  to change the window name to the string.  (an xterm window that is.)

                                                     -Eli

-----------
echarne@nrtc.northrop.com               echarne@orion.cf.uci.edu
echarne@ics.uci.edu                     zebcharne@uci.BITNET

janssen@holmes (Bill Janssen) (08/06/89)

In article <5385@sybase.sybase.com> forrest@sybase.com writes:
>[...] What I'd like is to be
>able to change the labeling "on the fly" from a remote host by sending
>an escape sequence (from the remote host) that will be interpreted
>by the DecWindows Server on my workstation. Is this possible?

I don't know about DecWindows, or dxterm, or whatever, but for Andrew
typescript and MIT xterm, you can do the following in your .cshrc:

if ($?TERM) then
  if ($?prompt) then

	set prompt = "! % "
	set hostname = `hostname`

        if ($TERM == "sun") then		# sunview cshell
                alias cd        'chdir \!*; echo -n "^[]l$hostname : $cwd^[\"' ;
        else if ($TERM == "wm") then		# Andrew typescript
                alias cd        'chdir \!*; echo -n "^A$hostname : $cwd^B"' ;
        else if ($TERM == "vt100") then		# really xterm
                alias cd        'chdir \!*; echo -n "^[]l$hostname : $cwd^["' ;
        else if ($TERM == "xterm") then		# xterm
                alias cd        'chdir \!*; echo -n "^[]l$hostname : $cwd^["' ;
        else					# not a labelled window
                alias cd        'chdir \!*; set prompt = "$hostname : $cwd ! % "' ;
	endif

	cd .
  endif
endif

(NB:  Each of the character pairs beginning with ^ (^[, ^B, ^A) is actually
a single character that I've editted so it goes through mail properly.)

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen        janssen.pa@xerox.com      (415) 494-4763
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center