[comp.windows.x] Subject: IBM aixterm and icccm compliance

dave@xll.AUstin.ibm.COM (David Erb) (08/06/89)

Ref: Jamie Watson on Fri, 4 Aug 89 16:21:01 GMT

>  There have been a couple of discussions in comp.windows.x about icccm
>  compliance.  It certainly will be nice if/when IBM brings their release
>  of X for the RT into compliance.  One specific example is their xterm,
>  which they call aixterm, which doesn't set many of the hints that icccm
>  compliant window managers want or need.  I'm really sick of "No Name"
>  in my title bars...
>
>  It's kind of sad, really.  IBM was one of the first to ship an R3 based
>  product.  Perhaps they were the very first of the "major vendors".  But
>  they have these couple of stupid R2-isms hanging over, which they have
>  claimed repeatedly are there for "backward compatibility".  Too bad.

This change to IBM's aixterm was added on an X-Windows update last January.
IBM's aixterm now checks to see if aixwm is running.  If not, aixterm
will behave as an ICCCM window manager expects--such as setting its
window name, not creating its own title bar, and removing all intelligence
from its icons.

David Erb
IBM AIX X-Windows

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (08/08/89)

In article <8908052113.AA13136@xll.austin.ibm.com> dave@xll.AUstin.ibm.COM (David Erb) writes:

>This change to IBM's aixterm was added on an X-Windows update last January.
>IBM's aixterm now checks to see if aixwm is running.  If not, aixterm
>will behave as an ICCCM window manager expects--such as setting its
>window name, not creating its own title bar, and removing all intelligence
>from its icons.

Has anyone else received this update?  Does anyone else have a version
of aixterm that behaves in this way?  The IBM support people here swear
that I have the latest updates for X, and my aixterm definitely doesn't
behave this way.

Perhaps, when people inside IBM insist on defending the RT and AIX by
talking about "updates" from some time ago, they could help us all by
giving the official PTF number, so those of us on the outside know what
to ask IBM support for.  It would certainly shorten the weekly game of
40-questions...

jw