[comp.windows.x] File Formats?-DDIF & X11

jstravis@athena.mit.edu (John S. Travis) (08/08/89)

We just got some DEC3100 workstations running ultrix & they have
an installed appliaction dxpaint. In that program(similar to Macpaint)
you can select Save As. Then the user is given the option of
2 formats DDIF, which i'm told is DIGITAL Document Interface Format, and
X11.  What are these formats? Where can i find more about them. Is the
X11 merely a standard bitmap? I'm coding a draw/contour mapping
 program which we hope to install on the DEC and so I need to know
what type of files to save. Any help or directions to help would
be greatly appreciated!

john travis
jstravis@athena.mit.edu

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (08/09/89)

In article <13363@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, jstravis@athena.mit.edu (John S. Travis) writes:
> We just got some DEC3100 workstations running ultrix & they have
> an installed appliaction dxpaint. In that program(similar to Macpaint)
> you can select Save As. Then the user is given the option of
> 2 formats DDIF, which i'm told is DIGITAL Document Interface Format, and
> X11.  What are these formats?

DDIF and tools for reading/writing it are documented in Digital manual
AA-LY28A-TE "Compound Document Architecture Manual".  It's part of the
standard Ultrix documentation set.  I assume that the X11 format is a
standard X bitmap file.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee