[comp.windows.x] Siggraph sillyness

A friend typed this in, not me.  I wasn't even *at* SIGGraph.  You
might get a laugh out of it.  My feeling about this subject is: If you
don't like X, write your own freely copyable windowing system and
quit whining.
-russ

Here's a tidbit from this SIGGraph you should like...

These fliers were being scattered from the balconies at the SIGGRAPH
reception.

The REALLY funny part is that they have missed the point.  X is like
AIDS.  It gets onto your system and does no harm itself.  But it
destroys your immune system and leaves you open to attack from all sorts
of OTHER deadly viruses because of the security loopholes.....

---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8---->8----

		Official Notice, Post Immediately

			     X     x
			      X   x
			       X x
			       x X
			      x   X
			     x     X

			 Dangerous Virus!

First, a little history.  The X window system escaped from Project
Athena at MIT where it was being held in isolation.  When notified, MIT
stated publicly that "MIT assumes no responsibility...".  This is a very
disturbing statement.  It then infiltrated Digital Equipment
Corporation, where it has since corrupted the technical judgement of
this organization.

After sabotaging Digital Equipment Corporation, a sinister X consortium
was created to find a way to use X as part of a plan to dominate and
control interactive window systems.  X windows is sometimes distributed
by this secret consortium free of charge to unsuspecting victims.  The
destructive cost of X cannot even be guessed.

X is truly obese - whether it's mutilating your hard disk or actively
infesting your system, you can be sure it's up to no good.  Innocent
users need to be protected from this dangerous virus.  Even as you read
this, the X source distribution and the executable environment is being
maintained on hundreds of computers, maybe even your own.

Digital Equipment Corporation is already shipping machines that carry
this dreaded infestation.  It must be destroyed.

This is what happens when software with good intentions goes bad.  It
victimizes innocent users by distorting their perception of what is and
what is not good software.  This malignant window system must be
destroyed.

Ultimately DEC and MIT must be held accountable for this heinous
*software crime*, brought to justice, and made to pay for a *software
cleanup*.  Until DEC and MIT answer to these charges, they both should
be assumed to be protecting dangerous software criminals.

Don't be fooled! Just say no to X.

[The following is in extremely fine print across the bottom of the page]

X windows.  A mistake carried out to perfection.  X windows.
Dissatisfaction guaranteed.  X windows.  Don't get frustrated without
it.  X windows.  Even your dog won't like it.  X windows.  Flaky and
built to stay that way.  X windows.  Complex nonsolutions to simple
nonproblems.  X windows.  Flawed beyond belief.  X windows.  Form
follows malfunction.  X windows.  Garbage at your fingertips.  X
windows.  ignorance is our most important resource.  X windows.  It
could be worse, but it'll take time.  X windows.  It could happen to
you.  X windows.  Japan's secret weapon.  X windows.  Let it get in
*your* way.  X windows.  Live the nightmare.  X windows.  More than
enough rope.  X windows.  Never had it, never will.  X windows.  No
hardware is safe.  X windows.  Power tools for power fools.  X windows.
Power tools for power losers.  X windows.  Putting new limits on
productivity.  X windows.  Simplicity made complex.  X windows.  The
cutting edge of obsolescence.  X windows.  The art of incompetence.  X
windows.  The defacto substandard.  X windows.  The first fully modular
software disaster.  X windows.  The joke that kills.  X windows.  The
problem for your problem.  X windows.  There's got to be a better way.
X windows.  Warn your friends about it.  X windows.  You'd better sit
down.  X windows.  You'll envy the dead.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])|(70441.205@compuserve.com)|
       (Russ.Nelson@f360.n260.z1.fidonet.org)|(BH01@GEnie.com :-)

kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (08/10/89)

In article <NELSON.89Aug9130028@sun.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
 >A friend typed this in, not me.  I wasn't even *at* SIGGraph.  You
 >might get a laugh out of it.  My feeling about this subject is: If you
 >don't like X, write your own freely copyable windowing system and
 >quit whining.
 >-russ
 >

 >Here's a tidbit from this SIGGraph you should like...
 >
 >These fliers were being scattered from the balconies at the SIGGRAPH
 >reception...

 [ Text of flyer deleted]

 >X windows.  A mistake carried out to perfection.  X windows.
 >Dissatisfaction guaranteed.  X windows.  Don't get frustrated without
 >it.  X windows.  Even your dog won't like it.  X windows.  Flaky and
 >built to stay that way.  X windows.  Complex nonsolutions to simple
 >nonproblems.  X windows.  Flawed beyond belief.  X windows.  Form
 >follows malfunction.  X windows.  Garbage at your fingertips.  X
 >windows.  ignorance is our most important resource.  X windows.  It
 >could be worse, but it'll take time.  X windows.  It could happen to
 >you.  X windows.  Japan's secret weapon.  X windows.  Let it get in
 >*your* way.  X windows.  Live the nightmare.  X windows.  More than
 >enough rope.  X windows.  Never had it, never will.  X windows.  No
 >hardware is safe.  X windows.  Power tools for power fools.  X windows.
 >Power tools for power losers.  X windows.  Putting new limits on
 >productivity.  X windows.  Simplicity made complex.  X windows.  The
 >cutting edge of obsolescence.  X windows.  The art of incompetence.  X
 >windows.  The defacto substandard.  X windows.  The first fully modular
 >software disaster.  X windows.  The joke that kills.  X windows.  The
 >problem for your problem.  X windows.  There's got to be a better way.
 >X windows.  Warn your friends about it.  X windows.  You'd better sit
 >down.  X windows.  You'll envy the dead.

So, I wonder just what exactly X windows is?  If you ask the folks at MIT or
Digital, they only know about a window system named X, or the X Window System.

I've heard someone is calling their version of X "X Windows."  I guess these
people must be flaming about that.

--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.  So there.

janssen@holmes (Bill Janssen) (08/10/89)

This was in my copy of X WINDOW SYSTEM / C LIBRARY AND PROTOCOL REFERENCE.

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen        janssen.pa@xerox.com      (415) 494-4763
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center