[comp.windows.x] Moving,.. children windows with Window manager

Francois.Bitz@SAM.CS.CMU.EDU (08/11/89)

Aparently it is not possible to move, resize
(interactively using the mouse, cursor) windows
which are children of top level application windows
 directly using a window manager (such as uwm).
Aren't the top level windows (which can be moved with window
manager) actually 'children' of the RootWindow? (those can
be moved,... interactively.

In case my assertions are true, it means that one might have
to 'write' a children window manager within the application
if one wants to place, resize children windows... OR just
not have children windows (i.e. make all windows to level
windows).  The second solution is not too great since I want the
children to move,... be visibly bounded by the top  window.

Anybody can confirm/deny suggest anything to  this?

thanks

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (08/12/89)

In article <8908101721.AA08294@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>, Francois.Bitz@SAM.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
> Aparently it is not possible to move, resize
> (interactively using the mouse, cursor) windows
> which are children of top level application windows
>  directly using a window manager (such as uwm).

This is correct.  Window managers intercept configure requests on
windows that are children of the root window, but not children of these
"top level" windows or any other decendent windows.  This allows
clients to move, resize, etc. their child windows as they wish.

> In case my assertions are true, it means that one might have
> to 'write' a children window manager

This is also correct.  The X Toolkit geometry managers are an example
of this. Some are interactive, e.g., those using grips.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee