[comp.windows.x] Re^2: X11R4

mats@oblio.UUCP (Mats Wichmann) (08/11/89)

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) writes:

>>	Does anyone out there have a summary of the differences between
>>	R3 and R4?

>Since R4 isn't due out until "the end of the year" (ish), it's a little
>premature for us to try to announce a lot of details.

!!!! ??? !!!

The x11r4 alpha tapes have shipped (we got ours last week). Unless you guys
release software very differently than the rest of the world, the major
functional differences should have been decided upon, and only minor details
are likely to change.  I don't think a summary of significant differences
(without getting into specific detail) is at all premature, epsecially for
people who are thinking about future release strategies for their installations.

Mats Wichmann
Acer America

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (08/14/89)

    I don't think a summary of significant differences (without getting into
    specific detail) is at all premature, epsecially for people who are thinking
    about future release strategies for their installations.

One of the benefits of membership in the X Consortium is early access to this kind
of information.  That's the way it is, and it's unlikely to change any time soon.
What happens between public releases is for the most part an internal matter of
the X Consortium.  Where significant interface standards are introduced or
modified, a public review period generally takes place.  If you've been paying
attention to this list, you've seen several of them announced, so you should
already have some idea of what's in store for future releases.  We are, of course,
conscious of the need for upward compatibility, so that should also tell you
something about R4.  We've also made some statements (e.g. about dropping uwm) to
this list when we felt it was desirable to put out an early warning.  That's
about all you should expect from us.