[comp.windows.x] Backspace Keysym in Athena Text Widget

mikep@sco.UUCP (08/10/89)

What happen to the Backspace key in the Athena text widget.  I get this when
using the any Xt (Locus and Motif) running SCO Xenix.

X Toolkit Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym: Backspace
X Toolkit Warning: ... found while parsing '~Shift Meta<Key>Backspace: delete-p revious-word() '

I never saw this when running on a Sun.  Anyways, I looked at some standard
X distrib. stuff in TMParse.c, and sure enough, Backspace isn't there,
but Delete is.   Meanwhile, Backspace is in the Text widget translation
table in both doc and code.

Somebody must of seen this before, but patches 1-10 don't cover it.

Am I missing something?

david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (08/14/89)

In article <8908120624.AA03485@uunet.uu.net>, mikep@sco.UUCP writes:

> What happen to the Backspace key in the Athena text widget.  I get this when
> using the any Xt (Locus and Motif) running SCO Xenix.
>
> X Toolkit Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym: Backspace
> X Toolkit Warning: ... found while parsing '~Shift Meta<Key>Backspace: delete-p revious-word() '
>
> I never saw this when running on a Sun.  Anyways, I looked at some standard
> X distrib. stuff in TMParse.c, and sure enough, Backspace isn't there,
> but Delete is.   Meanwhile, Backspace is in the Text widget translation
> table in both doc and code.
>
> Somebody must of seen this before, but patches 1-10 don't cover it.
>
> Am I missing something?

From mid-June:

			  X Window System Bug Report
			    xbugs@expo.lcs.mit.edu

VERSION:
    R3, fixes 1-8

AREA:
	Xaw

SYNOPSIS:
	lib/Xaw/TextTr.c uses 'Backspace' for 'BackSpace' keysym name

TextTr.c:~Shift Meta<Key>Backspace:     delete-previous-word() \n\
TextTr.c: Shift Meta<Key>Backspace:     backward-kill-word() \n\

SAMPLE FIX:
	Change to BackSpace.

--
David B. Lewis david@ics.com ics!david@buita.bu.edu david%ics.UUCP@buita.bu.edu

"An organization designing a system will produce a copy of its own
communication structure." - Melvin Conway