[comp.windows.x] sample b&w resources for mwm

myers@hpldola.HP.COM (Dan Myers) (08/04/89)

I have run hpwm (HP's window mgr, based on Motif) on mono and color
monitors.  While the color version is very nice, I did not think the
mono version was particularly unusable, simply grainier and not as
impressive.

Dan

david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (08/07/89)

can be made to look OK in b&w, it is true that its default values make it
look like death warmed over.

Some experimenting helps. Below are portions of a resources file recently
forwarded to me by Ben Schreiber at OSF's research institute.

PS: is there a large enough base of people interested in Motif and in
specific info such as this to warrant having the discussion in comp.windows.x,
or should we assume that everybody who has Motif is on OSF's private mailing
lists and can request such information there?

Mwm*foreground:			black 		! Actually, when a window is
Mwm*background: 		white		! deactivated, the background
Mwm*backgroundPixmap:		50_foreground	! becomes white, insted of
Mwm*topShadowPixmap:		white		! 50% foreground (grey)

Mwm*activeForeground:		black
Mwm*activeBackground:		white
Mwm*activeBackgroundPixmap:	50_foreground
Mwm*activeTopShadowPixmap:	white

Mwm*menu*backgroundPixmap:	background
Mwm*menu*topShadowPixmap:	50_foreground

Mwm*title*foreground:			black
Mwm*title*background:			white
Mwm*title*backgroundPixmap: 		white
Mwm*title*topShadowPixmap:		50_foreground
Mwm*title*activeForeground: 		white
Mwm*title*activeBackground: 		black
Mwm*title*activeBackgroundPixmap:	black
Mwm*title*activeBottomShadowPixmap: 	50_foreground

Mwm*feedback*backgroundPixmap:		white
--
David B. Lewis david@ics.com ics!david@buita.bu.edu david%ics.UUCP@buita.bu.edu

"An organization designing a system will produce a copy of its own
communication structure." - Melvin Conway

djg@pyrnova (Don Giberson) (08/09/89)

In article <2249@ics.COM> david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) writes:
>PS: is there a large enough base of people interested in Motif and in
>specific info such as this to warrant having the discussion in comp.windows.x,
>or should we assume that everybody who has Motif is on OSF's private mailing
>lists and can request such information there?

please assume no such thing!  we are a non-OSF member which will be
providing Motif on our platform, and this group should be a big help!
i for one am very interested in learning what others have to say about Motif:
its use, misuse, abuse, hints, horror stories, etc.!  advTHANKSance.

  Don Giberson / Pyramid Technology Corp / djg@pyramid.com / 415-965-7200 x2031
  <or>    ...!{allegra,decwrl,hplabs,munnari,sun,uunet,utai}!pyramid!djg
Standard disclaimer, etc. etc.

robertw@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Robert B. Williams) (08/15/89)

I have the xdefaults we are using for mwm on b/w terminals in CIS.  It
gives you the 3-d look at some sacrifice to title readability because of
the pixmap behind the title text.  If that is a problem you can set

mwm_bw*cleanText: true

Have fun.
robertw

!### The following will give you a 3d scheme on a monochrome display.###
!### To use, invoke mwm with the name mwm_bw.
!### Example: mwm -name mwm_bw &

mwm_bw*activeForeground:                      white
mwm_bw*activeBackground:                      black
mwm_bw*activeBackgroundPixmap:                25_foreground
mwm_bw*activeTopShadowPixmap:                 50_foreground
mwm_bw*activeTopShadowColor:                  white
mwm_bw*activeBottomShadowPixmap:              foreground
mwm_bw*activeBottomShadowColor:               black
mwm_bw*foreground:                black
mwm_bw*background:                white
mwm_bw*backgroundPixmap:          50_foreground
mwm_bw*topShadowPixmap:           foreground
mwm_bw*topShadowColor:            white
mwm_bw*bottomShadowPixmap:        foreground
mwm_bw*bottomShadowColor:       black
mwm_bw*menu*foreground:         white
mwm_bw*menu*background:         black
mwm_bw*menu*backgroundPixmap:   background
mwm_bw*menu*topShadowPixmap:    foreground
mwm_bw*menu*topShadowColor:     white
mwm_bw*menu*bottomShadowPixmap: 50_foreground
mwm_bw*menu*bottomShadowColor:  white