[comp.windows.x] X11 Training clawses

chapman@lll-lcc.UUCP (Carol Chapman) (08/11/89)

In article <480@greek.UUCP> Mark writes:
>Any idee where classes on X.11 can be found?  Local college extensions
>don't have anything (at least not in the upcoming quarter).

One place you might try is ICS (Integrated Computer Solutions).
I just signed up to take a couple of their X classes this month.  If
you want, I can let you know what I thought of them when I return.
The classes I'm taking are:  Programming the X Window System, An
Intensive Workshop which ms a 3 day class for people already somewhat
familiar with X11, and then Widget Writing, a 2 day class.  Both
classes are being taught at M.I.T. by one of the guys who helped write
the Athena widget set.I don't have all the paperwork handy, but I
think the first class costs $1400 and the widget writing class is
$700.  The following classes are supposed to be offered in the fall:
Programming the X Window System (for programmers with no X
experience), Overview of the X Window System (for programmers,
management, marketing personnel -- lecture only), and Programming with
the OSF/Motif Toolkit (for programmers with X experience).

I haven't taken these classes, so I have no idea whether they're any
good or not.  If you want more information, call ICS at (617)
547-0510.

carol

Livermore Lab            (chapman@lll-crg.llnl.gov or chapman@lll-lcc.llnl.gov)
P.O. Box 808, L-153      Tel. (415) 423-7876
Livermore, CA  94550     "Never own anything that you have to FEED or PAINT."

david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (08/17/89)

In article <2567@lll-lcc.UUCP>, chapman@lll-lcc.UUCP (Carol Chapman) writes:

> In article <480@greek.UUCP> Mark writes:
> >Any idee where classes on X.11 can be found?  Local college extensions
> >don't have anything (at least not in the upcoming quarter).
>
> One place you might try is ICS (Integrated Computer Solutions).

Thanks, Carol!

Folks who are interested in Xt programming and particularly in Motif should
also look for the courses during the OSF/Motif Road Show, of which ICS is
doing one track. The Road Show, which is described as "a series of One-Day
Seminars for Application Developers, Technical Managers and Marketing
Professionals" and which has tracks called "Motif Features and Functionality"
and "Application Porting Clinic" will visit New York, San Francisco,
Los Angeles, Dallas, DC, and Detroit; the Boston show is this Monday,
timed, I suppose, to coincide with the 1.0 release. Registration and info
only: 1-800-321-1990.

Darmouth and the University of Lowell occasionally have non-credit seminars
on X which might be useful for people needing a general overview.
--
David B. Lewis david@ics.com ics!david@buita.bu.edu david%ics.UUCP@buita.bu.edu
"There are five stages of fame: denial, anger, negotiation, acceptance, and