[comp.windows.x] complete X bibliography

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (08/16/89)

In article <1085@krafla.rhi.hi.is> valdi@rhi.hi.is (Thorvaldur Sigurdsson) writes:
     --> Douglas A. Young (HP) examples from his book:
	 "X Window Systems Programming and Applications with Xt"

   or as I understand the author wished it to be recognized as:
   "The X Window System: Applications and Programming with the Xt".

Can anyone offer a reference - publisher, ISBN, etc?  I'd like to add
a good Xt book to my collection.  I thought I had 'em all, but I guess
not.

Also, are the examples from "X Window Applications Programming"
(Johnson/Reichard, MIS Press) available anywhere?  The floppy lists
for $29.95, but that may be the cost of mailing, with redistribution
being freely allowed.

I have O'Reilly volumes 1 & 2 (3 is backordered),
Scheifler/Gettys/Newman, Jones, and Johnson/Reichard.  Besides Young,
are there any other tomes I should know about to fill up the rest of
the space on my bookshelf?

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (08/17/89)

In article <BOB.89Aug16105348@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu>, bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
[...]
> Also, are the examples from "X Window Applications Programming"
> (Johnson/Reichard, MIS Press) available anywhere?  The floppy lists
> for $29.95, but that may be the cost of mailing, with redistribution
> being freely allowed.

When I signed my contract with MIS: Press, I signed away all rights to
the code and the text.  So, if you want the code, you will have to talk
to them (phone 1-800-MANUALS in the USA).  I do know that the sources
ARE copyrighted and most likely MIS will NOT allow free redistribution
(ask them, though).

As an aside, we did try to reuse as much code as possible, to limit
the amount of typing needed (but there is a lot of code).

As a reference, the book is:

_X Window Applications Programming_
by Eric F. Johnson and Kevin Reichard
MIS: Press, 1989
ISBN: 1-55828-016-2

Have fun,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson, Prime Automation, Inc.
415 W. Travelers Trail, Burnsville, MN 55337 USA.  Phone: +1 612-894-0313.

simkin@ginosko.samsung.com (Rick Simkin) (08/18/89)

In article <BOB.89Aug16105348@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu>, bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>     -->  Douglas A. Young (HP) examples from his book:
> 	 "X Window Systems Programming and Applications with Xt"
>
> Can anyone offer a reference - publisher, ISBN, etc?

Douglas A. Young, Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, Palo Alto CA.
_X Window Systems: Programming and Applications with Xt_
Published in 1989 by Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs NJ 07632
ISBN 0-13-972167-3

Rick Simkin                    || Phone: +1 (508) 685-7200 x134 (fax 685-4940)
Samsung Software America, Inc. || Internet: simkin@samsung.com
1 Corporate Drive              || UUCP: {uunet,ulowell}!ginosko!simkin
Andover, Mass.  01810  USA     ||       decvax!bu-tyng!ulowell!ginosko!simkin
-------------Any opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's.-------------