[comp.windows.x] Motif pricing

david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (08/18/89)

In article <12422@s.ms.uky.edu<, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
< dbrooks@osf.osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
<
< |Everything else remains the same: a source license, which includes all
< |documentation, is available for $1000, and the Preliminary Functional
< |Descriptions are available for a handling fee of $30.  There is no
< |plan to make Motif available any other way.
<
< $1000??????????????????????????????????????????
<
< And they call themselves the "Open Software Foundation"?
<
< They should rename it to the "Expensive Software Foundation". Looks like their
< PR is a lot better than the reality. If this is typical pricing, it looks like
< they're going to be as expensive as AT&T, which will make them about as "open"
< as AT&T.
< ***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean

Well, that's cheap, considering that some of us spent 25 times that to become
OSF members :-)

Really, $1000 is cheap as far as workstation software goes -- and you get
source that's interesting to browse through, which is more than one can
say for AT&T's Xt-based OPENLOOK distribution. It really is an excellent deal,
and one that is open to everyone.

I'm not one known for echoing OSF's official line, but I
do believe that they win this round.

BTW, for less, you can get a set of binaries from your hardware vendor or
some IBV (independent binary vendor) for non-supported machines.
--
David B. Lewis david@ics.com ics!david@buita.bu.edu david%ics.UUCP@buita.bu.edu
	UNIX - some assembly required.

thp@westhawk.UUCP ("Timothy H Panton.") (08/18/89)

> David B. Lewis david@ics.com writes:
> Really, $1000 is cheap as far as workstation software goes

I agree, we paid the $1k to AT&T for Openlook (didn't they set their
price first?) just to see what it was like. Name another source product
you can licence from any major vendor for under $10k.

> and you get
> source that's interesting to browse through, which is more than one can
> say for AT&T's Xt-based OPENLOOK distribution

Actually some of the OPENLOOK stuff is quite interesting, like the fast
rounded buttons, and splitting the window manager into geometry manager and
application manager. As it is only supported on an obscure ATT box, building
it on anything else is definitely "interesting" ;-{

Tim.

|Tim Panton, Westhawk Ltd.    "We all have our faults, mine's being wicked." |
|Paper: Westhawk Ltd. 26 Rydal Grove, Helsby, Cheshire, WA6 OET. UK.         |
|Phone: +44 92822574             uucp : ..!mcvax!ukc!cam-cl!westhawk!thp     |

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (08/18/89)

Can we *please* have a ceaseflame on this?