[comp.windows.x] keeping popups on top

mlm@odi.com (Mitchell Model) (08/22/89)

Is there something I can do to force my popups to stay on top (under
twm, in particular, but also in general)?  Can I at least keep them on
top of other application windows?  It is a common problem to obscure a
dialog box with another application's window, or worse, your own
application's main window.

	Mitchell L Model
	Director, HeadStart Program
	Object-Design, Inc.
	One New England Park
	Burlington MA 01803
	(617) 270-9797
	mlm@odi.com
--

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (08/22/89)

In article <1989Aug21.175637.6783@odi.com>, mlm@odi.com (Mitchell Model) writes:
> Is there something I can do to force my popups to stay on top (under
> twm, in particular, but also in general)?  Can I at least keep them on
> top of other application windows?  It is a common problem to obscure a
> dialog box with another application's window, or worse, your own
> application's main window.

If this is a serious problem with your dialog boxes, perhaps you should
be doing a grab pointer (with or without a confine-to) so that the user
handles your dialog box before anything else (such as the window
manager).  Most clients do this with popup menus and high priority
dialog boxes (alerts).

Another method would be to make your dialog boxes children of other
application windows.  That way the application can control their
stacking order.  Window groups are supposed to do the same thing for
top-level windows, but don't seem to work very well.

You might want to experiment with a private protocol between your
client and your window manager, but this is somewhat hackish and may
violate the ICCCM.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee