[comp.windows.x] Xterm Control Sequences - where is the document ?

jensen@bessel.eedsp.gatech.edu (P. Allen Jensen) (08/17/89)

Could someone tell me where I can find the ``Xterm Control Sequences''
document that the Xterm man page talks about ?  If you can mail it to me,
please let me know (do not mail, I don't want 20 or 30 coppies ;->) and I
will respond and ask you to send me a copy.

P. Allen Jensen
Georgia Tech, School of Electrical Engineering, Atlanta, GA  30332
USENET: ...!{allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,ulysses}!gatech!eedsp!jensen
INTERNET: jensen@eedsp.gatech.edu

gerolima@wdl1.UUCP (Mark K Gerolimatos) (08/19/89)

Small world.

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (08/20/89)

There is no Xterm Control Sequences document for X11.
This question has been asked about a hundred times and answered
as many. 8-)

It has been promised that "as soon as there is time" it will
be worked on, but I imagine with R4 taking up everyone's time
it may be a while before it appears.

If anyone has time they might be good enough to take the one
from X10 and update it for X11 (using the Source, Luke).

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
We don't need no signatures!

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (08/20/89)

In article <3644@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
> There is no Xterm Control Sequences document for X11. . .
> If anyone has time they might be good enough to take the one
> from X10 and update it for X11 (using the Source, Luke).

And until they do, eliminating references to the Xterm Control Sequences
document will head off requests for it at the pass.
The relevant bug report is attached.
--
	Arthur David Olson    ado@alw.nih.gov    ADO is a trademark of Ampex.

< From ado Fri Dec 23 17:37:01 1988
< To: xbugs@expo.lcs.mit.edu
< Subject: XV11R3 xterm(1) manual page has incorrect cross references (with fix)
<
<
< 			  X Window System Bug Report
< 			    xbugs@expo.lcs.mit.edu
<
<
<
<
< VERSION:
< 	R3
<
< CLIENT MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
< 	Sun 3/60 running SunOS 4.0
<
< DISPLAY:
< 	Sun CG4
<
< WINDOW MANAGER:
< 	uwm
<
< AREA:
< 	xterm
<
< SYNOPSIS:
< 	The xterm(1) manual page contains two incorrect cross references.
<
< 	It refers to an "Xterm Control Sequences" document which is not
< 	part of the R3 distribution.
<
< REPEAT BY:
< 	Script started on Fri Dec 23 17:29:28 1988
< 	elsie$ cd clients/xterm
< 	elsie$ grep "Xterm Control Sequences" xterm.man
< 	.I ``Xterm Control Sequences''
< 	.I ``Xterm Control Sequences''
< 	elsie$ exit
<
< 	script done on Fri Dec 23 17:30:03 1988
<
< SAMPLE FIX:
< *** 1.2/xterm.man	Fri Dec 23 17:32:27 1988
< --- 1.3/xterm.man	Fri Dec 23 17:32:28 1988
< ***************
< *** 605,614 ****
<   .I xterm
<   features (like logging) may be modified under program control
<   through a set of escape sequences different from the standard VT102 escape
< ! sequences.
< ! (See the
< ! .I ``Xterm Control Sequences''
< ! document.)
<   .PP
<   The Tektronix 4014 emulation is also fairly good.
<   Four different font sizes and five different lines types are supported.
< --- 605,611 ----
<   .I xterm
<   features (like logging) may be modified under program control
<   through a set of escape sequences different from the standard VT102 escape
< ! sequences.
<   .PP
<   The Tektronix 4014 emulation is also fairly good.
<   Four different font sizes and five different lines types are supported.
< ***************
< *** 1072,1079 ****
<   window.
<   .SH "SEE ALSO"
<   resize(1), X(1), pty(4), tty(4)
< - .br
< - .I ``Xterm Control Sequences''
<   .SH BUGS
<   .PP
<   The \fB\-L\fP option is no longer needed as the new \fIxdm\fP display manager
< --- 1069,1074 ----
< --
< 	Arthur David Olson    ado@ncifcrf.gov    ADO is a trademark of Ampex.

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (08/21/89)

In article <3644@helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
   If anyone has time they might be good enough to take the one
   from X10 and update it for X11 (using the Source, Luke).

Folks who have long since relieved themselves of X10 can find that
starting point in expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/Control.doc.Z.

david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (08/22/89)

In article <3644@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
<
< There is no Xterm Control Sequences document for X11.
< This question has been asked about a hundred times and answered
< as many. 8-)
<
< It has been promised that "as soon as there is time" it will
< be worked on, but I imagine with R4 taking up everyone's time
< it may be a while before it appears.
<
< If anyone has time they might be good enough to take the one
< from X10 and update it for X11 (using the Source, Luke).

Two documents which I have found useful and which seem to match well the X11
xterm (but probably were based on the X10 "Xterm Control Sequences"
document) are the appendix D to the OPENLOOK documentation from ATT
and the appendix D to the 'Using X on Sony NEWS' handbook distributed
with that hardware.
--
David B. Lewis david@ics.com ics!david@buita.bu.edu david%ics.UUCP@buita.bu.edu

ICS -- Everything you always wanted to know about X, but didn't know where
to ask.