[comp.windows.x] What is that MOTIF thang on expo?!

PJS@GROUCH.JPL.NASA.GOV (Peter Scott) (08/23/89)

Tom Crockett <tom@icase.edu> writes:

>But seriously, I think that if workstation software prices were cut from about
>$1000 (that seems to be a popular figure these days) to about $100 or less, the
>number of copies sold would more than make up the difference in price.
>
>Given the quantity and improving quality of free software, it's very hard to
>justify spending $1000 on a package if there's any other way at all of getting
>the job done.

Have you guys seen software prices for even slightly larger computers lately?
The DEC catalog lists several *single* software items for larger-end Vaxen
costing over $100,000 (*without* source, I believe).

Considering the man-power it takes to develop a decent piece of software (as
opposed to a spare-time effort that requires an army of propellor-heads to
maintain it at your site), $1000 is nothing - there are programs for PCs that
cost that much!

Peter Scott  (pjs@grouch.jpl.nasa.gov)