[comp.windows.x] Text processing software

peter@polygen.uucp (Peter Ent) (08/11/89)

We are looking for some pretty powerful text processing software
to be used as a callable set of functions from X windows-based
programs.

We'd like the package to include a WYSIWYG input editor and
software that handles it afterward (gettings its metrics,
displaying it, word-wrapping it, etc.).

A lot of what goes on in high-level interface programs nowadays
is full-blown word processing: it dialog boxes, when displaying
large amounts of text (scrollable areas), when asking for
paragraphs of input (such as in cells of tables, in forms, etc.).

In our case, the text package must include superscripts, subscripts,
multiple font families, typefaces, and sizes.

If anyone knows of a package like this to license or for purchase,
please let me know. I suspect there are a lot of companies who have
had to invent this themselves and would dearly love a standard text
library (perhaps Motif has such a thing).

Peter Ent
Polygen Corp
(617) 890-2888, ext 258

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (08/12/89)

>We are looking for some pretty powerful text processing software..
>We'd like the package to include a WYSIWYG input editor...
>If anyone knows of a package like this to license or for purchase...

This may sound biased...but  DIGITAL has announced DECwrite....
and it has received some good press reviews.....just that I cannot
guarantee that it will do *everything* that you want.

--
Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp

david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (08/14/89)

In article <1436@riscy.dec.com>, graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) writes:
> >We are looking for some pretty powerful text processing software..
> >We'd like the package to include a WYSIWYG input editor...
> >If anyone knows of a package like this to license or for purchase...
>
> This may sound biased...but  DIGITAL has announced DECwrite....
> and it has received some good press reviews.....just that I cannot
> guarantee that it will do *everything* that you want.

I saw some DEC WYSIWYG editor that was reasonable; it may have been DECwrite.

The original poster should also check Frame. Information number is
800-U4FRAME.
--
David B. Lewis david@ics.com ics!david@buita.bu.edu david%ics.UUCP@buita.bu.edu

"An organization designing a system will produce a copy of its own
communication structure." - Melvin Conway

mark@DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) (08/23/89)

}
david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) wrote:
} The original poster should also check Frame. Information number is
} 800-U4FRAME.

I'm not sure you'll be able to get frame on a DEC platform.  Something
to do with where DEC got the guts of DECWrite from in the first place.

--
    mark@DRD.Com
uunet!apctrc!drd!mark