[comp.windows.x] XTroff

ndd@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley) (03/01/89)

I finally got xtroff to work, using the patches from Mark
Moraes, and, frankly, the scaled vfonts
look terrible. I tried to use my Imagen fonts, but haven't had
any success; I think the names are a problem. I saw a note back
in October about using other fonts, but I was wondering if
there is a latest and greatest version of xtroff that in which
everything works right, and font support is easy to handle.

Failing that, are there other ditroff (or troff) previewers
that work well under X11R3?

SunOs 3.5, Sun 3/280, X11R3 + Purdue 2.0 speedups + 8 patches

Ned Danieley (ndd@sunbar.mc.duke.edu)
Basic Arrhythmia Laboratory
Box 3140, Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC  27710
(919) 684-6807 or 684-6942

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (03/01/89)

In article <13690@duke.cs.duke.edu> ndd@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley) writes:

   I finally got xtroff to work, using the patches from Mark
   Moraes, and, frankly, the scaled vfonts
   look terrible.

Yes, they do.

 I tried to use my Imagen fonts, but haven't had
   any success; I think the names are a problem. I saw a note back
   in October about using other fonts, but I was wondering if
   there is a latest and greatest version of xtroff that in which
   everything works right, and font support is easy to handle.

The Imagen fonts will work VERY well, because they are matched to the
DESC file used when you ran the troff.

Here's how to make things work.  First you need the bitmaps for the
imagen (this won't work if your fonts are stored on your imagen server (box)).

In the top level Imakefile,
	RSTFONTS= 'the location of your imagen bitmaps'
	SUNTROFF_FONTS = 'the location to put your X fonts'
	DEVICE = 'the name of your imagen as known by ditroff, i.e. 300'
	WIDTHDIR= 'where your troff devices are kept, i.e. /usr/local/lib/font'
	MAKEDEV = 'where your makedev program is kept'
	PERCENT=40

Define -DNOADJUST in the CFLAGS

after making xfonts, you will have an X font directory filled with
files called dev300.i.10.snf (where dev300 is replaced by whatever you
pass to ditroff for the -T option).

If there are more problems setting up xtroff with imagen fonts (the
only ones I use), send mail and maybe I can help.  xtroff looks really
good with the right fonts.

--
+*************************************************************************+
*  Dana Chee				(201) 829-4488			  *

newsuser@LTH.Se (LTH network news server) (03/02/89)

xtroff is probably not bad, but is there any chance to get
the program to work with original troff?
Joergen Haegg				jh@efd.lth.se
System manager @ efd			046-107598
Lund Institute of Technology		Sweden

moraes@CSRI.TORONTO.EDU (Mark Moraes) (03/04/89)

> xtroff is probably not bad, but is there any chance to get
> the program to work with original troff?

There's not much reason why you couldn't hack xtroff to get it to work
with the original troff, but it would take some work. You'd have to write
a parser for the CAT codes that the original troff emits, in place of
the present ditroff parser. You'd have to change the font selection
strategy - the cleanest way might be to produce a DESC file for a CAT
typesetter and use that, together with vfonts/Imagen fonts or the X fonts.

moraes@CSRI.TORONTO.EDU (Mark Moraes) (07/01/89)

I've put the latest version of xtroff up for anonymous ftp on
ai.toronto.edu (128.100.1.65) in pub/X/xtroff.tar.Z and expo.lcs.mit.edu
(18.30.0.212) in contrib/xtroff.tar.Z. This version is at
patchlevel 5. (For those not on the Internet, it
is on it's way to comp.source.x)

For those who ftp'ed the version at patchlevel 4, there's also a
file xtroff.fix5.

The checksum for xtroff.tar.Z is
	60119   343 xtroff.tar.Z

On ai.toronto.edu,
-rw-r--r--  1 moraes     350495 Jun 30 22:36 pub/X/xtroff.tar.Z

On expo.lcs.mit.edu,
-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      30         350495 Jun 30 22:52 contrib/xtroff.tar.Z

CHANGES.Patch4
--------------
Patch 4 is a major overhaul of xtroff, to make it work much faster and to
use better fonts under X11R3. (Please note that there appear to be some
other patches floating around, so you may find your xtroff at a higher
patchlevel than 4. Those patches have been incorporated in this version. The
version released on the R3 contrib tape was at patchlevel 2, patch 3 is
available by anonymous ftp as xtroff.r3.shar.Z on expo.lcs.mit.edu in the
contrib/ directory and on ai.toronto.edu in the pub/X directory. Both
patches have been released through comp.sources.x, so they should also be
available from your nearest archive site)

	- The major enhancements come from Dave Cahlander <dac@cray.com>,
and include an awk script to generate X fonts with the PostScript collating
sequence from the nice fonts that come with X11R3, and changed xtroff so
that it trusts the fonts provided by Adobe and draws a word at a time,
rather than following ditroff's character kerning. This improved speed
tremendously. He's added a -full option to see the whole page on the screen,
and provided special drawing routines for special characters that are not in
the R3 fonts. The R3 fonts look much better than the scaled vfonts. If you
have the Imagen fonts, you may want to convert those, however. (I have not
tested Imagen font generation) Thanks are also due to DEC, Adobe and
Bitstream for providing such nice fonts for the X1R3 distribution.

	- Dave's also provided a script to convert NeWS fonts to X11 fonts
with names that xtroff can use. This is in the NeWS directory with a
Makefile - I haven't been able to test it since I don't have the NeWS fonts.
However, if you do install the NeWS fonts, you may want to get rid of
Tms{R,I,B,BI}{10,12,14,18,24}.snf.Z since the corresponding ones that come
with X11R3 are much better - they have ligatures and so on.

	- Dana Chee <dana@bellcore.com> fixed some problems with ditroff
device control sequences, and with the scrollbars.

	- menus pop down when they're supposed to, and menu text looks right.
menus even unhighlight when the menu pops down.

	- Fixed a nasty bug in page positioning - if you ever went a
page back, going forward again became very non-deterministic.

	- Sped up a few comparisons for font and character selection
that were slowing things down.

	- Enabled printing of a page, and of the entire document. You can
set the printer from the menu, using the interaction Minubuf.

	- Now compiles with gcc, varargs code fixed, doesn't write to static
strings.

	- A substitute XDrawArc and XFillArc based on ellipse code Dave
provided - these run considerably faster than the R3 server arc drawing
code, which is unbearably slow on the Sun3/50s which some of us use. If you
run your server on anything less than a MIPS based workstation, you probably
need these routines.

I do not know if this version of xtroff will compile and run under X11R2 or
earlier. I don't know if the suntools version of the previewer still works
after all the modifications made in this Patch. Sorry.

Have fun.

                                        Mark Moraes
                                        Computer Systems Research Institute,
                                        University of Toronto,
                                        Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

                                        {your favourite backbone}!utcsri!moraes
                                        moraes@utcsri.UUCP (new style)
                                        moraes@csri.toronto.edu
                                        moraes@csri.utoronto.ca
                                        moraes@csri.utoronto (bitnet)

CHANGES.Patch5
--------------
Fixes
	- a bug in Minibuf

	- resizes properly

stevea@laiter.i88.isc.com (Steve Alexander) (08/24/89)

I'm having trouble building contrib/clients/xtroff.  It seems to want
to use its own menu package that conflicts with the standard system.
Am I just confused, or is this not set up to run under R3?

Has anyone gotten this working?  If so, how?

Thanks,
--
Steve Alexander, Software Technologies Group    | stevea@i88.isc.com
Interactive Systems Corporation, Naperville, IL | ...!ico!laidbak!stevea