[comp.windows.x] UIDL/ADI Study Group

rcs@SEI.CMU.EDU (rCs) (08/24/89)

Reference Model

  The  P1201  User  Interface reference model, shown below, is a layered model
which defines the program services and interfaces required for  network-based,
bitmapped  graphic  user interface applications.  For purposes of the UIDL/ADI
Working group Layers 0-3 a in the model could be replaced with a  single  user
interface toolkit, for example the Mac Toolkit or Presentation Manager.

                    Model Layer

          Layer 6   Application
          Layer 5   Dialogue
          Layer 4   Presentation
          Layer 3   Toolkit
          Layer 2   Subroutine Foundation
          Layer 1   Data Stream Interface
          Layer 0   Data Stream Encoding

Domain

   1. Define requirements for the application dialogue interface (between
      layers 5 & 6 in the reference model).

   2. Define requirements for a UIDL (layers  4  &  5  in  the  reference
      model).

   3. Define  the  binding  mechanism for integrating toolkit level API's
      into the presentation layer (between layers 3 & 4 in the  reference
      model).

Assumptions

   1. Any  proposed  solution  should  support  the  toolkit API (between
      layers 3 & 4 in the reference model) being defined by P1201.1.

   2. Any proposed UIDL/API solution should work well on at least  the  X
      Window System and a character based terminal (i.e.  using Curses).

   3. Any proposed solution should work well on low end platforms.

Proposals

   1. Endorse the Seeheim terminology.

   2. The  ADI  will  not  dictate  specific  data  models  for  imaging,
      graphics, and other areas in which existing standards apply.   This
      requires the use of other, existing standards in the development of
      highly portable systems.

   3. Preference will be given for a  minimal  solution  that  meets  the
      requirements.

                                 REQUIREMENTS

ADI

   1. Mixed control model (either/both UI or application control).

   2. Presentation, or media, independent.

   3. Programming language independent (C, Ada, Fortran).

   4. Support dynamic requests for presentation services.

   5. Functional/object interface?

UIDL

   1. Support both presentation and dialogue.

   2. Describe dynamic behavior.

   3. Support dynamic requests for presentation services.

   4. Toolkit independent.

   5. Manipulate toolkit objects.

   6. Support for generic objects.

Toolkit Binding Mechanism

   1. Support multiple window systems (i.e. X, PM, Mac).

   2. Support multiple toolkits (i.e. 1201.1, Motif, OpenLook).

   3. Support character based terminals (i.e. curses on a VT220)

   4. Not wreck existing toolkit interfaces.

brsmith@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Brian R. Smith) (08/24/89)

rcs@SEI.CMU.EDU (rCs) writes:

>Reference Model

>  The  P1201  User  Interface reference model, shown below, is a layered model
>which defines the program services and interfaces required for  network-based,
>bitmapped  graphic  user interface applications.  For purposes of the UIDL/ADI
>Working group Layers 0-3 a in the model could be replaced with a  single  user
>interface toolkit, for example the Mac Toolkit or Presentation Manager.

< bitching on >

Oh, please!  Give me a break.  ANOTHER %$*#@ Interface "standard"?

Excuse me, I think I'm going to be ill.

Programming-by-committee bothers me; why couldn't they just say
"That Open Look thang is nice; let's implement that."  No, that
would be too easy.

< bitching over >

I think I'll buy a Mac and hide in a closet for a couple years until
this settles down a bit.

Brian

carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (08/24/89)

After looking at several so-called "UIDL"s, I think
they are in many ways similar to database so-called "4GL"s.
Can we please merge 4GLs and UIDLs.  What do you think?

John Carlson
carlson@tis.llnl.gov

rcs@SEI.CMU.EDU (rCs) (08/25/89)

> After looking at several so-called "UIDL"s, I think
> they are in many ways similar to database so-called "4GL"s.
> Can we please merge 4GLs and UIDLs.

Yes, I agree they are very similar.  I am not aware
of any 4GLs which meet the requirement of being toolkit
independent, however.

I am not quite sure what you mean by "merge".  There are
UIMSs that provide database interfaces to the Application
programmer.  It might make sense if this API were
exactly the same as an existing standard database
interface so that an application developer could
either send data to the UIMS for presentation or the database
for storage by changing the output stream, for example.

On the other hand the main purpose of a UIMS should be
to separate application from user interface concerns.
Towards this end, it wouldn't make sense for the UIMS to
incorporate database calls.

Robert C. Seacord

carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (08/25/89)

In article <8908232256.AA12268@gg.sei.cmu.edu> rcs@SEI.CMU.EDU (rCs) writes:
>Assumptions
>
>   1. Any  proposed  solution  should  support  the  toolkit API (between
>      layers 3 & 4 in the reference model) being defined by P1201.1.
>
>   2. Any proposed UIDL/API solution should work well on at least  the  X
>      Window System and a character based terminal (i.e.  using Curses).

I sumbit that any proposed solution should support several toolkits in
layers 3 & 4.  This will allow a programmer to add site-specific tools.

>Toolkit Binding Mechanism
>
>   1. Support multiple window systems (i.e. X, PM, Mac).
>
>   2. Support multiple toolkits (i.e. 1201.1, Motif, OpenLook).

Easily extensible to support site-specific tools.  I can add one table
and a record in another to add a new toolkit to my poor man's UIDL.
Some UIDLs appear toolkit specific, without an easy way to add
new toolkits.  I am interested in the experiences of people who
added another toolkit to an existing UIDL.