[comp.windows.x] DEC widgets on System V

ssr@gauss.Berkeley.EDU (Steve S. Roy) (08/22/89)

Howdy fellow X hackers,

I've been using the DEC user interface language and its associated
widgets for a while now on a Sun 3 and I am very pleased with it.
It has a "User Interface Language" which allows easier specification
and modification of widget locations and callbacks than anything else
I've seen.

It also has the huge advantage that it seems basicly bug free [:-)],
at least on BSD systems.

I now find myself needing to port the set to some System V boxes, the
MIPS M-120 and Silicon Graphics 4D specificly, and I am having problems.

The widgets themselves compiled and ran with no problems at all on BSD.
I can use the System V box as the display with the code running on a Sun.
They have flags which indicate they should be able to run under System V.
With these flags defined I can get it to compile, but when I try to
execute the test programs it core dumps.

Sadly, it does not core dump in the DEC code, it core dumps in XtInitialize.
Now, XtInitialize is executed after a Dwt call, but I guess some subtle
initialization problem is going on.  I really would rather not learn enough
about these routines and the differences between System V and BSD to find
the problem.

Is anybody out there using the DEC widgets?
Has anybody gotten them to run on a System V box?
Has anybody even seen them running on a System V box?

Many thanks in advance,
Steve Roy

Real Name: Steve Roy
e-mail: ssr@acm.princeton.edu
telephone: (609)452-5384 (office)
Address: office:
         Program of Applied and Computational Mathematics
         Princeton University
         Princetion NJ 08544-1000

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (08/23/89)

Have you tried building them in RISCos' BSD environment?
g.

George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!hartzell

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (08/23/89)

In article <10045@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, ssr@gauss.Berkeley.EDU (Steve S. Roy) writes:
> The widgets themselves compiled and ran with no problems at all on BSD.
> I can use the System V box as the display with the code running on a Sun.
> They have flags which indicate they should be able to run under System V.
> With these flags defined I can get it to compile, but when I try to
> execute the test programs it core dumps.
>
> Sadly, it does not core dump in the DEC code, it core dumps in XtInitialize.

Did you recompile your Xlib for System V?  Depending on which version
of System V you use, there are various Xlib defines to use.  If you're
using the Digital System V emulation, the Xlib installation instructions
are listed in the Digital UWS release notes.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

ramani@modesty.Stanford.EDU (Ramani Pichumani) (08/24/89)

> With these (System V) flags defined I can get it to compile, but
> when I try to execute the test programs it core dumps.  Sadly, it
> does not core dump in the DEC code, it core dumps in XtInitialize.

This is not a answer to your question but rather an expansion of the
problem.  We have recently compiled GNU emacs 18.53 on our 4D with the
X windows options.  The compilation and linking worked fine but when
the code executes, it too bombs out.  However, I can also run xemacs
remotely from my Sun 3 and Sun 4 without any problems.  This leads me
to suspect either a bug in the GNU code (which is only specific to
SGI) or a problem in Xlib.  I have included the stack frame from the
core file at the end of this message. The problem seems to be
somewhere in XOpenDisplay.

Fatal error(11). segmentation violation.
  0 kill.kill(0x1045034, 0x0, 0xb, 0x0, 0x7fffcae0, 0x4812d0)
["kill.s":17, 0x482fd4]
   1 fatal_error_signal(sig = 11) ["emacs.c":143, 0x4192a4]
   2 index.index(0x10027fa4, 0x1002d6f0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x7fffcae0, 0x0) [0x46542c]
   3 res_init.res_init(0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
["res_init.c":117, 0x462980]
   4 res_search(0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x400, 0x0) ["res_query.c":131, 0x462cfc]
   5 _gethostbyname_named(0x7fffc238, 0x477390, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0,
0x4773e8) ["gethostnam.c":235, 0x46143c]
   6 gethostbyname(0x2, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0) ["gethostwrap.c":18, 0x460d9c]
   7 _XConnectDisplay(0x7fffcae0, 0x7fffc56c, 0x7fffc46c, 0x7fffc468,
0x7fffc43c, 0x7fffc438) ["XConnDis.c":276, 0x4773e4]
   8 XOpenDisplay(0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x43a908, 0x0, 0x0)
["XOpenDis.c":166, 0x46f6e8]
   9 x_term_init() ["x11term.c":1520, 0x415594]
  10 .block4 ["dispnew.c":1405, 0x4032e8]
  11 init_display() ["dispnew.c":1405, 0x4032e8]
  12 main(argc = 1, argv = 0x7fffc774, envp = 0x7fffc77c)
["emacs.c":362, 0x419730]

I don't know if this problem is related to the one posed above but I
sure would like to know if anyone has gotten xemacs working on release
3.1G.

Ramani Pichumani                          E-mail: ramani@na-net.stanford.edu

Department of Computer Science, Margaret Jacks Hall, Room 308,
Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 USA

ramani@simplicity.Stanford.EDU (Ramani Pichumani) (08/25/89)

> The widgets themselves compiled and ran with no problems at all on BSD.
> I can use the System V box as the display with the code running on a Sun.
> They have flags which indicate they should be able to run under System V.
> With these flags defined I can get it to compile, but when I try to
> execute the test programs it core dumps.
>
> Sadly, it does not core dump in the DEC code, it core dumps in XtInitialize.
> Now, XtInitialize is executed after a Dwt call, but I guess some subtle
> initialization problem is going on.  I really would rather not learn enough
> about these routines and the differences between System V and BSD to find
> the problem.

This is not an answer to your question but rather an expansion to the
problem.  We have recently compiled GNU emacs on our 4D running 3.1G
and encounter a "Fatal Error(11). segmentation violation" problem when
running xemacs after setting the DISPLAY environment variable.  I can
run xemacs remotely from my Sun3 and Sun4 but for some reason I can't
get xemacs to run on the 4D.  It too seems to bombsout in the Xlib
code.  The problem appears to be somewhere in XOpenDisplay.  If anyone
has managed to get GNU emacs running a 4D with 3.1G under X11, I would
be very interested to hear from you.

Thanks,

Ramani Pichumani
Department of Computer Science, Margaret Jacks Hall, Room 308,
Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 USA Tel:(415)723-2902 Fax:(415)725-7411
ramani@na-net.stanford.edu or uunet!na-net.stanford.edu!ramani@uunet.UU.NET