[comp.windows.x] Postscript Previewer?

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (08/08/89)

	Is there a Postscript screen previewer available for ULTRIX
systems running X Windows?  How about for other BSD-type UNIX systems?

	Please respond by E-MAIL only, and I'll summarize to the net.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Systems Administrator      barrett@cs.jhu.edu (128.220.13.4) |
| Dept. of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| E-mail addresses:  ARPANET: barrett@cs.jhu.edu                            |
|                    BITNET:  ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet                        |
|                    UUCP:    ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP                     noog |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (08/08/89)

A full PostScript previewer comes with DECwindows on Ultrix; it
uses Display PostScript from Adobe, and should handle anything you'd send
to a printer.

There are are public domain PostScript previewers also around, for which the
above statement may not be true.
				- Jim

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (08/09/89)

In article <310@crltrx.crl.dec.com> jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:

> A full PostScript previewer comes with DECwindows on Ultrix; it
> uses Display PostScript from Adobe, and should handle anything you'd send
> to a printer.

I tried dxpsview to preview the file "icccm.ps" I downloaded from
xstuff@expo.lcs.mit.edu, and it gave up on one of the very first
postscript instructions (and happily ignoring the rest of the file). The
file prints very well, however.

The offending command was "framedevice".

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{mcvax,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

susan@gnome7.pa.dec.com (Susan Angebranndt) (08/13/89)

	I tried dxpsview to preview the file "icccm.ps" I
	downloaded from xstuff@expo.lcs.mit.edu, and it gave up on
	one of the very first postscript instructions (and happily
	ignoring the rest of the file). The file prints very well,
	however.

	The offending command was "framedevice".

Fixed in the next release (UWS2.2).  The problem is that the Previewer is
a PostScript emulator, not a printer emulator.  "framedevice" is defined
differently for every printer, and not at all for the current previewer.

The quick fix is to add
	/framedevice {pop pop pop pop} def
to the prologue for icccm.ps (put it right after %%EndComments).

Susan Angebranndt
susan@decwrl.dec.com

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/26/89)

In article <310@crltrx.crl.dec.com> jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:
>A full PostScript previewer comes with DECwindows on Ultrix; it
>uses Display PostScript from Adobe, and should handle anything you'd send
>to a printer.

Hmm.. interesting ..

I was just using dxpsview and had a problem that I haven't gotten around
to tracking down yet.  We had some TeX DVI output which we ran through
dvi2ps (no, I don't know the heritage of our copy of dvi2ps) and tried
to preview it with dxpsview -- it gave me a message about an unknown
command "letter".

I've run into other files which dxpsview won't display.  Particular ones
were, I think, the maps that Brian Reid makes... (A DEC person "ought to"
make postscript files a DEC product can use ...)

I realize I haven't tracked down all the factors of that problem.  But, I do
like dxpsview, it does work well.  It's the only DECwindows application
that I regularly use.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

kent@gnomee.pa.dec.com (Christopher A. Kent) (08/26/89)

Yah, 'letter'. It's really unfortunate that so many people wrote programs that produce PostScript that depends on things found only in the Apple LaserWriter's userdict.

The next release of dxpsview will fix this and many other problems (including the infamous 'framedevice' bug). I haven't tried one of Brian's maps lately, but I will.

Chris Kent	Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
kent@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!kent			(415) 853-6639