[comp.windows.x] xfish question

dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) (08/16/89)

Can xfish run on a 4-bit (16 color) display?  I am getting a X protocol
error while creating the bitmap (invaild argument).  Do I need a 8-bit
display to run xfish in the distributed form?

--
Dwight Kelly            UUCP: gatech!npiatl!dkelly
Director R&D            AT&T: (404) 962-7220

jwb@mcnc.org (Jack W. Buchanan Jr.) (08/18/89)

In article <427@npiatl.UUCP> dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:
>Can xfish run on a 4-bit (16 color) display?  I am getting a X protocol
>error while creating the bitmap (invaild argument).  Do I need a 8-bit
>display to run xfish in the distributed form?
>
>--
>Dwight Kelly            UUCP: gatech!npiatl!dkelly
>Director R&D            AT&T: (404) 962-7220
>Network Publications, Inc    2 Pamplin Drive     Lawrenceville, GA  30245
>             Publisher of "The Real Estate Book" nationwide!

I have gotten this to work.  It's easy.  In the file xfish, about midway
through is the error message.  Change the planes <8 to <4.  This will stop
the error message.  Then there are two calls to something like
XCreate_Window.  In the parameter list there are two 8s.  Change the first
one in each call to 4.  This is the depth of the display.  Incidently, since
I only had a monochrome ultrix vaxstation, I displayed on a 4 plane VMS
vaxstation 2000 and it worked fine (somewhat to my amazement).  To do this
set host from the VMS machine (server) to the ultrix client.  on ultrix
issue setenv DISPLAY YOUR_VMS_HOSTNAME::WSA0:  This will use the VMS machine
as the X server.  This will only work for ultrix (or other unix running
decnet) because the VMS X server doesn't yet know how to use tcp/ip as the
transport medium.
	Jack Buchanan
	Medicine and Biomedical Engineering
	UNC-Chapel Hill
	buchanan@odin.bme.unc.edu

lma@polya.Stanford.EDU (Larry M. Augustin) (08/21/89)

In article <1334@speedy.mcnc.org> jwb@mcnc.org.UUCP (Jack W. Buchanan Jr.) writes:
:In article <427@npiatl.UUCP> dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:
::Can xfish run on a 4-bit (16 color) display?  I am getting a X protocol
::...
:
:I have gotten this to work.  It's easy.  In the file xfish, about midway
:through is the error message.  Change the planes <8 to <4.  This will stop
:the error message.  Then there are two calls to something like
:XCreate_Window.  In the parameter list there are two 8s.  Change the first
:one in each call to 4.  This is the depth of the display.

I've made this sort of change in a number of programs.  It's very easy
to do, but it's just as easy to query the display depth using
XDefaultDepth, and it makes the application much more portable.

Larry M. Augustin			ERL 414
lma@sierra.stanford.edu			Computer Systems Lab
lma@dayton.stanford.edu			Stanford University
(415) 723-9285				Stanford, CA 94305

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (08/21/89)

#

Jr.) writes:
> :In article <427@npiatl.UUCP> dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:
> ::Can xfish run on a 4-bit (16 color) display?  I am getting a X protocol
> ::...
> :
> :I have gotten this to work.  It's easy.  In the file xfish, about midway
> :through is the error message.  Change the planes <8 to <4.  This will stop
> :the error message.  Then there are two calls to something like
> :XCreate_Window.  In the parameter list there are two 8s.  Change the first
> :one in each call to 4.  This is the depth of the display.
>
> I've made this sort of change in a number of programs.  It's very easy
> to do, but it's just as easy to query the display depth using
> XDefaultDepth, and it makes the application much more portable.

Weelll, I tried it on our Vaxstation 2000  4-plane color machines,
and after it puts up the background water (aquamarine in color)
with some bubbles, and it lowers itself to the bottom of the window
stack,  the whole system gets wedged.  Soon, no one on the machine
can do anything, AND the HALT button on the back doesn't even work!

Has anyone else tried it on a VS2000 (4-plane color)?
Running X11.3 with patches 1-9, Ultrix 3.0

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
We don't need no signatures!

dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) (08/22/89)

>> In article <1334@speedy.mcnc.org> jwb@mcnc.org.UUCP (Jack W. Buchanan
>Jr.) writes:
>> :In article <427@npiatl.UUCP> dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:
>> ::Can xfish run on a 4-bit (16 color) display?  I am getting a X protocol
>> :
>> :I have gotten this to work.  It's easy.  In the file xfish, about midway
>> :through is the error message.  Change the planes <8 to <4.  This will stop
>> :the error message.  Then there are two calls to something like
>> :XCreate_Window.  In the parameter list there are two 8s.  Change the first
>> :one in each call to 4.  This is the depth of the display.

There is only one call to XCreateWindow and it is created with a depth of 1.
The error occurs when xfish tries to set the background pixmap to a bitmap
that is one-bit deep.  Also, I changed XCreateWindow to XCreateSimpleWindow.

>> I've made this sort of change in a number of programs.  It's very easy
>> to do, but it's just as easy to query the display depth using
>> XDefaultDepth, and it makes the application much more portable.

True.  Why does everyone use XDefaultDepth?

It seems that X does not like to mix 1-bit depth windows & bitmaps with
a display depth of greater than 1-bit depth.  Xfish creates a background
bitmap from data and then tries to set the windows background pixmap to
the this bitmap.  This is where things fail.  Why????

--

jwb@mcnc.org (Jack W. Buchanan Jr.) (08/27/89)

In article <3648@helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:

>Weelll, I tried it on our Vaxstation 2000  4-plane color machines,
>and after it puts up the background water (aquamarine in color)
>with some bubbles, and it lowers itself to the bottom of the window
>stack,  the whole system gets wedged.  Soon, no one on the machine
>can do anything, AND the HALT button on the back doesn't even work!
>
>Has anyone else tried it on a VS2000 (4-plane color)?
>Running X11.3 with patches 1-9, Ultrix 3.0
>
>_____________________________________
>Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
>Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
>We don't need no signatures!

I'm the guy who said it was easy (and also gave a non device independent way
to do it--I knew better in general, but I probably don't really know enough
specifics about X to even post here (but I'm learning).  As I pointed out in
my message, what I actually did was run the program as a client on the Ultrix
machine running Ultrix 3.0 I think, maybe 3.1  and UWS 2.1 (monochrome
VaxStation II) and display on the DECWindows {VMS} server on a 4-plane color
VAXStation 2000 running VMS 5.1-1.  I made an assumption that if the program
could run on ultrix and negotiate the ultrix-vms X interface to display on a
VMS machine, it should certainly be able to do it all on ultrix (and 4.3bsd,
and x11r3 instead of DECwindows),i.e. run properly on a 4 plane vaxstation
running ultrix or bsd.  This appears to have been an unwarranted assumption.
Sorry for the confusion. Incidently, the ultrix machine was heavily loaded
(for a vaxstation --1 user doing an extensive C compilation and 2 or 3 others
doing editing/mail) when I was playing with this.  The VMS vs 2000 was only
displaying the fish.
	Jack Buchanan (jwb@mcnc.org)