[comp.windows.x] Re-request X terminal info

sridhar@syteka.ARPA (Sridhar Acharya) (08/11/89)

A few weeks back I had posted a request for summary of X-terminal info,
but I did receive any response on that. Also some readers of xpert asked me
if I could forward to them the information I received. Since there are
some others who require similar information, I would appreciate if some
kind soul would post it on the net or inform the source from where the
information could be got.

Thanks a bunch
-sridhar

Sridhar Acharya
Software Engineer.
Hughes Lan Systems.

UUCP ..sun!sytek!sridhar        Internet: sridhar@sytek.hls.hac.com

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (08/12/89)

Some X terminals that I have seen are:
Visual Technologies (2 models)
Network Computing Devices (2 models)
Graph-On
Acer-Counterpoint
Tektronix (2 models, but 1 is really an NCD)
Jupiter Systems
National Cash Register
MIPS (made by NCD)

Some of these were prototypes or pre-production machines not yet for sale.

Human Design Systems, Digital Equipment, and others have announced X
terminals, but I have not seen anything yet.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

jon@altos86.Altos.COM (Jonathan Ma) (08/14/89)

In article <8908101730.AA00540@syteka.hls.com> sridhar@syteka.ARPA (Sridhar Acharya) writes:
>A few weeks back I had posted a request for summary of X-terminal info,
>[...]
  I will be doing an evaluation of X-terminals (or Network Display Stations)
  as soon as I can get NCD and HDS in house.  I should have some results
  by early September.  Do you have any specific tests that you want to
  run?  Please send to me ASAP.  I will start this evaluation when NCD16
  arrives.
--

-Jon-		Jonathan Ma, Altos Computer Systems
	UUCP: {sun,pyramid,amdahl}!altos86!jon

jiii@visdc.UUCP (John E Van Deusen III) (08/15/89)

The July 1989 issue of UNIX WORLD, pg 75, reviewed the NCD16 and the
Acer Counterpoint Model 100.  The author, Rik Farrow, seemed quite
biased against X.  This erupted into a fairly interesting bitch fight
in the "letters" section of the September 1989 issue.

In my opinion, one of the most important things to keep in mind is cost.
The new Tektronics XN11 color machine is over $7,000!  This seems out of
line considering that most of the "work" of providing pixel by pixel
instructions for drawing images is done by the client software, which
does not execute on the X terminal.

The second thing that I would consider is memory expansion.  X terminals
can handle the overhead of restoring the display that lies under a
window only if they have enough memory.  The Acer Counterpoint, for
example, has an 8086 and is limited to only 640 K.

The final consideration is performance.  Since the X server function is
well-defined, I would expect someday to see a reasonably-priced machine,
utilizing a TMS34010, or equivalent, graphics processor plus some custom
ASICs, that achieves really good performance.  I would think that for
the $2,500 you must currently spend for a monochrome NCD16, you should
be able to get at least 1,024x768 pixels x 16 colors.  Otherwise, it
seems that a person would be better off to set up an SVGA display on a
386 PC.  It costs about $1,500 to add this display capability to a PC,
so X terminals must provide additional performance in the form of
writing speed, pixels, and/or colors.  Otherwise, they are pointless.

This is because X terminals don't eliminate the requirement for some
sort of local computer.  To do so would mean running X client as well as
the database client software on the database server.  Since the X client
is executing on a machine that is also required in order to run the
database client software, the only logical reason to split off the X
server to a separate machine is for increased performance.
--
John E Van Deusen III, PO Box 9283, Boise, ID  83707, (208) 343-1865

uunet!visdc!jiii

bob@primerd.prime.com (08/17/89)

I just purchased 50 of the Visual 19" X terminals for my company.
After months of evaluation, they became the clear choice.  (There were
dozens of evaluation criteria, including performance, price, software
compatibility, screen size, legibility, availability, etc.)

So far, we are completely satisfied.  We have them configured with 2 meg,
which is expandable.

Bob Pellegrino
Prime Computer, Inc.

jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) (08/30/89)

In article <34700017@primerd>, bob@primerd.prime.com writes:
> After months of evaluation, they became the clear choice.  (There were
> dozens of evaluation criteria, including performance, price, software
> compatibility, screen size, legibility, availability, etc.)

I finally got a close look at one of these at Uniforum, and the thing I liked
most (considering that I'm going to give these beasts to VERY novice users)
is the method they use to "login" to a host machine.  Their startup
sequence looks just like a terminal login prompt.  Works just like it, too.

It's this feature that is going to make X terminals a viable alternative for
getting high powered graphics in to the hands of our "normal" users.

James B. O'Connor			Work:	jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences --			Play:   jim@bahamut.fsc.com
A division of Ahlstrom			UUCP:	uunet!tiamat!jim