[comp.windows.x] Access to Widget List in Composite Part.

harish@csl.ncsu.edu (Harish Hiriyannaiah) (08/30/89)

I wish there was a macro to access the structure "WidgetList children", in
the Composite part. Right now, the only way I can do it is to #include
IntrinsicP.h, which is ugly. Furthermore, I do believe that "WidgetList
children" and "Cardinal num_children" in Composite part should be moved
to CorePart.

Comments ?

harish pu. hi.					harish@ecelet.ncsu.edu
						harish@ecebucolix.ncsu.edu

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R. Swick) (08/30/89)

> I wish there was a macro to access the structure "WidgetList children", in
> the Composite part. Right now, the only way I can do it is to #include
> IntrinsicP.h, which is ugly.

If you are writing a widget (sub)class, then including IntrinsicP.h
is a normal and expected thing to do.  If you are writing an application
and want to see the widget list, then you're out of luck until R4 at
which time you will be able to do XtGetValues to retrieve these.

> Furthermore, I do believe that "WidgetList
> children" and "Cardinal num_children" in Composite part should be moved
> to CorePart.

Perhaps, but its not a source-compatible change for widgets
(Xt _is_ a standard now) and it's not clear that this is the most
efficient use of memory in the typical case.  You are welcome
to make all your own widgets subclasses of Composite if you wish.

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (08/31/89)

In article <3809@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> harish@csl.ncsu.edu (Harish Hiriyannaiah) writes:
>I wish there was a macro to access the structure "WidgetList children", in
>the Composite part.

Patience in all things.  This is planned for inclusion in R4 (read-only
XtNchildren and XtNnumChildren resources).

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente